A classic southern appetizer with a kick of a twist.
I have a group of ladies that get together on a regular basis and we take turns bringing snacks and refreshments. One of the challenges that I find, is that a couple of the ladies adhere to strict gluten-free diets. It seems that they are often confined to just having fruit or maybe not indulging in any snacks at all.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
This week, I prepared a classic southern recipe… pimento cheese spread, and gave it my own twist with some fresh, minced jalapeno peppers. I served this spread with gluten free crackers. It was a fantastic hit, and people were asking for the recipe and commenting on the flavor of the crackers left and right – even those who don’t adhere to gluten free diets.
How to Make Jalapeno Pimento Cheese Spread
To begin, dice 2 tablespoons of jarred pimentos. You can find these in the grocery store near the jarred peppers, pickles & olives and often in the Hispanic section of the store as well.
In a mixing bowl, combine 4 ounces of room temperature, reduced fat cream cheese, 5 ounces each of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese.
Add in the diced pimentos, 1/2 teaspoon each of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper and 1/4 cup of mayonnaise. Mix until these are all combined.
Seed and mince a jalapeno pepper. Stir the minced pepper into the spread.
Serve this with your favorite crackers, toasted bread, veggies…oh the possibilities are endless!
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 2 Tb jarred pimento peppers, diced
- 4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 5 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c mayonnaise (use a paleo-friendly brand such as Primal Kitchen)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- Breton Gluten-Free Crackers or veggies for serving
- Combine the diced pimento peppers, cheeses, mayonnaise, salt & pepper in a mixing bowl. Mix until it is combined.
- Stir in the minced jalapeno pepper.
- Serve with Breton Gluton-Free Crackers or dipping veggies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 311mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.