Homemade mayonnaise takes only minutes to make and is so much better than store bought.
One of the great things about making your own mayonnaise, is that you get to control the ingredients that go in it.
Not long ago, I was in the grocery store and noticed that more brands are coming out with versions of mayonnaise that are made from avocado oil. Sadly, if you turn the bottle or jar over and look at the actual ingredients, avocado oil is usually tossed in with many other oils, some of which are not exactly good for you.
Don’t be fooled. Make your own.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
Are Raw Eggs Safe?
Many people often wonder if it is safe to consume raw egg. That is a hotly contested topic and the answer will vary depending upon who you ask.
Personally, I would say make sure that you use eggs from a trusted source. Ideally, you would get your eggs locally, if not from your own chickens. The eggs should be as fresh as possible. Of course if you are pregnant, are are concerned about raw egg, you will have to make that decision for yourself.
To make mayonnaise, I use a wide-mouthed, quart canning jar and an immersion blender. You can also make this in a regular blender.
This mayo is lightly seasoned with some sea salt, mustard powder and onion powder. Feel free to adjust the measurements, or play around with the seasonings to create your own favorite version.
To make Homemade Mayonnaise you will need:
- lemon juice
- fine sea salt
- mustard powder
- onion powder
- avocado oil
- immersion blender
- wide-mouthed quart mason jar (or other deep container)
I can not stress enough, the importance of adding the oil very slowly while you blend the mayonnaise. If you add it too quickly, the oil will break. If that happens, it does’t matter how long you blend it, it will never thicken.
Drizzle it in slowly. The slower the better. Watch how I do it in the video below.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Homemade Mayonnaise with Avocado Oil
- 1 egg, (organic, farm-fresh and pastured is best)
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 c avocado oil, you can also use extra virgin olive oil if you choose
- Place all of the ingredients except the oil, in your mason jar.
- Insert your immersion blender and begin blending everything together.
- With the blender running, very slowly begin to drizzle the oil into the jar, slowly moving the blender up and down in the ingredients as you go to fully incorporate everything.
- Store the mayonnaise in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.
2 thoughts on “How to Make Homemade Mayonnaise from Scratch”
I have a similar recipe that calls for lemon juice, but I use lime juice instead. You are so right about traditional, store-bought mayonnaise. The ingredients are scary!
Thats’s so cool you can make it like that. going to try it.