Pasta dishes make me happy – and Italian sausage makes me happy – toss in a dessert, and this is a happy, happy, happy kind of supper.
To begin, start a large pot of water for your pasta. Don’t cook your pasta yet, just get the water going for it.
In a sided skillet with a lid, heat a Tablespoon of oil, and then brown 5 Italian Sausage links. You will cook these for about 10 minutes over medium heat, turning once. Put the lid on your skillet, so the heat will stay in, and cook the meat all the way through. I apologize for missing this picture.
While the sausages are cooking, take a 16 ounce can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes, and give them a quick puree in a food processor.
Set them aside for the time being.
Dice up 1 onion, and mince 2 cloves of garlic.
When your sausages are done, set them aside, and then drain all but 1 Tablespoon of the drippings from the pan.
In the drippings, cook your onions and garlic for a couple minutes, until tender.
Go ahead and start your pasta cooking now. You’ll need 1 pound of Cavatappi. If you can’t find Cavatappi, don’t fret. You can substitute the very common “Farfalle” or bowtie pasta.
Carefully slice up your sausages. I hold them with tongs so I don’t burn my fingers. Slices should be 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick.
When your onions are tender, pour in 1/2 cup dry white wine.
Your pureed tomatoes
Then add 1/2 teaspoon dry rosemary, crushing the leaves with your fingers.
1 Tablespoon parsley, and some salt & pepper.
Let this cook all together over medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When your pasta is done, drain it and place it in a large serving bowl.
Stir in 8 ounces of Mascarpone Cheese into the skillet, melting it all together.
Pour the sauce into the pasta, and toss gently to coat.
Top with a little grated Parmesan. Enjoy!
- 1 Pound Cavatappi Pasta
- 1 Tb oil
- 1 package (5 links) Italian Sausage
- 1 can (16 ounce) Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ c white wine
- ½ tsp dry Rosemary, crushed
- 1 Tb dry Parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Mascarpone Cheese
- grated Parmesan for topping
- Start the water for the pasta.
- In a deep-sided skillet (with lid) heat oil, and cook sausages over medium heat until browned on both sides, and cooked all the way through. Cook with lid on, to hold in heat.
- Meanwhile puree tomatoes in a food processor, set aside.
- Set sausages aside and drain all but 1 Tb drippings from pan. Sauté onions & garlic in drippings for a couple minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile carefully slice up sausages (1/4 - ½ inch thick.)
- Start your pasta cooking.
- When the onions are tender, add the wine, pureed tomatoes, rosemary, parsley, salt & pepper and sausages.
- Stir together, and cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- When the pasta is done, drain and place it in a large serving bowl.
- Stir the mascarpone cheese into the sauce until it is melted and combined.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta, and gently toss to coat.
- Serve with some grated Parmesan on top.