Simple and delicious Balsamic Chicken that is made in the slow cooker. The deep rich sauce and tender chicken is served on a bed of couscous which cooks up in minutes when you are ready for dinner.
How to Make Balsamic Chicken
To begin, dice up an onion and mince 3 cloves of garlic.
Sauté those in 2 Tb olive oil until tender and then stir in 2 Tb tomato paste, 1 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 Tb Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper. Stir those together.
Whisk in 2 Tb flour and let it cook for just a minute.
Stir in 15 ounces of fire roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 c red wine, and 1 cup chicken broth. Stir it together and let it simmer a minute or so.
Place boneless, skinless thighs (2 per person) in the bottom of your crockpot.
Cover with the wonderful sauce and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
Serve on a bed of couscous. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tb of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tb tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Tb Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tb flour
- 1/2 c balsamic vinegar
- 14 ounce can of fire-roasted, diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 c red wine
- 1 c chicken broth
- salt & pepper - about 1/2 teaspoon each
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- cooked couscous or rice
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion & garlic.
- When the onions are tender and beginning to get a little golden, add in tomato paste, thyme, red pepper flakes, and the Worcestershire sauce. Stir them all together and let them cook for about a minute.
- Mix in the flour.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar, red wine, and chicken broth. Allow that to cook together for a minute on low heat.
- Remove it from the heat and stir in the tomatoes. Pour the rich goodness into your slow cooker.
- Stir in the wine, broth, salt & pepper.
- Now nestle the chicken down into the darkness.
- Note: Chicken thighs can at times be rather fatty. I take a pair of kitchen shears and trim all the excess fat from the meat before cooking.
- Put the lid on your slow cooker and allow the chicken to cook 6-8 hours on low. Serve this over couscous or rice, whichever you prefer.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.