This stew is a stick to your ribs kind of dish. With whole new potatoes, big chunks of carrot, slices of beef and a beer based broth – is it a surprise to hear that my husband loves this? This is a very rustic dish, very manly ;)
To begin, slice up a chuck tip roast into slices about 1/3 inch thick. I used a roast that was about a pound and a half.
In your Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Brown the meat on both sides, working in batches. Place the meat in a dish as you brown them.
Slice 2 red onions.
Add in another 2 tablespoons of butter, and sauté the onions until they are golden and tender.
Stir in 1/2 cup of flour, let it cook for a minute.
Pour in two 12 ounce bottles of “amber” beer, along with the browned meat, 3 cups of beef broth, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for an hour, with the lid on.
After the hour, trim and peel 4 or 5 carrots. Cut them into thirds, and split any very thick pieces.
Wash 2 lbs of “new” potatoes.
Put the carrots and potatoes in the pot, and let this cook covered for about another hour or until the veggies are cooked through.
- 1½ - 2 lb chuck tip beef roast
- 4 Tb butter
- 2 red onions
- ½ c flour
- 24 ounces "amber" beer
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 -5 carrots
- 2 lb "new" potatoes, washed and unpeeled.
- To begin, slice the roast into ⅓ inch thick slices. Melt 2 tb butter in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown the meat, a few pieces at a time in batches. As you brown a batch, place it in a dish. While it is browning, slice your onions. When all of the beef is browned and in the dish, add the remaining butter to the Dutch oven, along with the onions. Sauté the onions until golden and tender. Stir in the flour and let it cook a minute. Pour in the beer and beef broth. Add the beef back into the pot, along with the bay leaves, thyme, salt & pepper. Bring it to a boil, cover and reduce heat and let it simmer for about an hour.
- After the hour, trim and peel the carrots, cutting them into thirds. If the ends are very thick, split them down the center. Place the carrots and potatoes in the pot and recover. Simmer for another hour or until the vegetables are tender.
Check out this collection of “One Pot Meals”:
“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters
- Spicy Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Eggplant Parmesan Soup by The Texan New Yorker
- Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Chicken Corn Chowder by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup by Neighborfood
- Beefy Skillet Nacho Bake by The Weekend Gourmet
- White Bean and Spinach Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
“Put meat on your bones” Stews
- Dr. Pepper Shredded Chicken (slow cooker) by girlichef
- Pepper Beef Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fabulous French Cassoulet by Webicurean
- Slowcooker Coq Au Vin by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Claypot Braised Tofu by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Moroccan Lentil Ragout with Poached Eggs by The Wimpy Vegetarian
“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Kalua Pork by Shockingly Delicious
- Chicken and Dumplings by Hip Foodie Mom
- Spicy Tomato Pasta by Supper for a Steal
- Carnitas with Queso Fresco Enchiladas by Casa de Crews
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Pork Chops and Veggies by Cookin’ Mimi
- Jambalaya by Country Girl in the Village
- Easy Oven Sweet & Sour Chicken by Momma’s Meals
- Asian Chicken Rice Pot by a distinguished palate
- Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir Fry by Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef and Quince Tajine by MarocMama
- Slow-Cooked Italian Beef Sandwiches by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sunday Supper Pork and Chorizo by Family Foodie
- Crockpot Roasted Corn, Tomato and Broccoli Risotto by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Asparagus by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Chipotle Tamale Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- One Pot Coconut Rice Shrimp Pilaf by Sue’s Nutrition Buzzz
“Can’t say no” Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Busy-Day S’mores Cake by Treats & Trinkets
- Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Spice Apple Crisp by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies by Pies and Plots