All of the goodness of the holiday dish, in a moist, delicious muffin!
A few weeks ago, I cooked up a pulled pork lunch for “the guys” in our troop. I had intended to make a certain kind of cupcakes that morning to take to them, but realized that I was missing a key ingredient, and didn’t have time to run to the store. So I headed to the pantry, and saw that I had a couple cans of organic Sweet Potatoes that I had snatched up when they went on sale at the holidays. Right away, I knew just what I was going to do. As I started making the batter, I decided that since these were sweet potato muffins, they needed a topping like sweet potato casserole. I ended up making these muffins 2 more times in the next couple weeks, as my family inhaled them.
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard muffin pans with papers.
In a bowl, combine 3 c flour, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp allspice, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg. Stir it all together and set it aside.
In your mixing bowl beat together 4 eggs.
Mix in 2 cups sugar, 1/2 c apple sauce, 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil (or vegetable oil) and 14 ounces of pureed Sweet Potato.
When it is all combined, stir in your dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
Once it is mixed, scoop the batter into the muffin cups. Now for the topping.
In a food processor, combine 1 cup of pecans, 1/4 c flour, 1/4 c cold butter, 3/4 c brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Pulse them together until combined.
Sprinkle some of the lovely mixture over the top of each muffin.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until they test done with a toothpick. Cool for a few minutes on a rack.
- 3 c flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 2 c sugar
- 14 oz (1 1/3 c) sweet potato puree
- 1/2 c plain apple sauce
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil (or vegetable oil)
For the Topping
- 1 c pecans
- 1/4 c flour
- 1/4 c cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two standard muffin tins with papers, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir them together and set aside.
- In your mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add in the sugar, sweet potato, apple sauce and evoo. Mix well. Add in the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Scoop the batter into the muffin tins.
- For the toppings, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor, and pulse together until it comes together in a doughy, crumbly mixture. Sprinkle about a tablespoon or so over the top of each muffin.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until they test done with a toothpick. Cool a few minutes on a rack.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 3gSugar: 24gProtein: 6g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.