Good old-fashioned Cucumber Salad is a breeze to make and a great way to use some of the abundance you get in the summer from your garden. And with the well-stocked produce section in your local grocery store, you can enjoy this dish year round.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
I have a confession to make. Years ago I talked about how I should have named my blog “The Finicky Foodie,” because there are so many beloved foods that make me absolutely run away in horror. Cucumbers are one of them.
I know!!! I know you are probably wondering what the heck I’m giving you this recipe for. Well, that’s because my sweet hubby loves cucumbers. He loves them and he loves this salad, so I make it for him any time he wants. Sometimes I’ll simply make it as a surprise for him. And so, I thought I would share the recipe with you.
That said, I have to admit that I do love pickles. I’ll snack on them all day long. I also love tzatziki sauce. But raw cucumbers? Nope. see ya later alligator!
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 c red onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 c apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 c water
- 1/4 c sugar, for paleo, omit the sugar or substitute raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To begin, layer the cucumber and onion slices in a medium sized bowl or container. Set this aside for now.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and pepper. Give it a whisking.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the vegetable slices. Cover with plastic wrap or the lid of your container and place it in your refrigerator for 3 – 4 hours. Occasionally give the mixture a stir while it chills.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.