Good old-fashioned cucumber salad is a breeze to make and a great way to use some of the abundance you get in the summer from your gardens. And with the well-stocked produce section in your local grocery store, you can enjoy this dish year round.
I have a confession to make. Years ago I talked about how I should have named my blog “The Finicky Foodie,” because there are so many beloved foods that make me absolutely run away in horror. Cucumbers are one of them.
I know!!! I know you are probably wondering what the heck I’m giving you this recipe for. Well, that’s because my sweet hubby loves cucumbers. He loves them and he loves this salad, so I make it for him any time he wants. Sometimes I’ll simply make it as a surprise for him. And so, I thought I would share the recipe with you.
That said, I have to admit that I do love pickles. I’ll snack on them all day long. I also love tzatziki sauce. But raw cucumbers? Nope. see ya later alligator!
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 c red onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 c apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 c water
- 1/4 c sugar (for paleo, omit the sugar or substitute raw honey)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- To begin, layer the cucumber and onion slices in a medium sized bowl or container. Set this aside for now.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper. Give it a whisking.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the vegetable slices. Cover with plastic wrap or the lid of your container, and place it in your refrigerator for 3 - 4 hours. Occasionally give the mixture a stir while it chills.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 60 Total Fat 0g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 198mg Carbohydrates 14g Fiber 1g Sugar 11g Protein 1g