Let’s face it, there are times when all you want to eat is something basic and cheap to make. This Dried Beef Casserole is all of that and takes advantage of things that are right in your pantry or fridge. I love the simplicity of this recipe and I also love that it doesn’t make a ton. Now that my family is getting smaller, the kids are growing up and moving away, I find that I am often left with way too many leftovers in the fridge. This casserole is only a 9×9 inch square baking dish, so it is just the right size.
This Amish inspired dish starts off like so many wonderful dishes, with sauteed onions.
A few sliced mushrooms for good measure.
There’s lots of goodies, like chunks of cheddar cheese, diced hard-boiled eggs and macaroni.
And of course, the dried beef. Always rinse dried beef under cold water and drain it before using it in a recipe. It is much too salty to use straight out of the jar.
All these good things get spread into your baking dish, and baked together.
Look how yummy that is when it comes out of the oven.
- 3 Tb butter
- ¼ c minced onion
- ½ c sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tb all-purpose flour
- 1¾ c milk
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 c uncooked macaroni
- 5 oz. cheddar cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 hard cooked eggs, diced
- 1 jar (4 oz.) dried beef
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch square baking dish. Set it aside for now.
- Cook the macaroni until just al dente. You don't want them to be overcooked.
- While the macaroni cooks, saute the onion & mushrooms together with the butter in a skillet until the onions are just tender.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir them all together. Add in the milk and black pepper, and bring this to a boil over medium heat, stirring continually. When it comes to a boil and thickens, turn off the heat.
- Pour the sauce into a large (heat safe) mixing bowl. Add in the cooked macaroni, cheese cubes and diced eggs.
- Coarsely chop the dried beef and place it in a sieve. Run it under cold water to rinse the excess salt from it. Drain out the water, and add the beef to the mixing bowl.
- Stir everything together and spread it into your prepared baking dish.
- Bake it for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
The Lord is For Me, I Will Not Fear ~ Ps 118:6