Learn how to make your own, homemade bread. This recipe only uses 4 ingredients, and is great for beginners!
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
There’s nothing like a loaf of fresh, homemade bread. The smell of this floating through your house will have everyone running for the kitchen and just waiting to dig in.
I jokingly call this “ugly bread”, because when you are making this simple bread, it looks like you are making a great big ugly mess. But this bread is ridiculously easy to make and perfect for beginning bread bakers since there is no kneading involved.
If you are looking for traditional loaf bread, check out my recipe for Basic Homemade Bread.
Watch Me Make This Recipe:
No-Knead Bread without a Dutch Oven
I have had several people asking me if they could make this bread, even if they do not have a Dutch oven. Using a Dutch oven is going to give you the best results, however you can make a loaf of no-knead bread using a baking sheet.
Go through the recipe steps as shown up to the point of dropping the ball of dough into the Dutch oven, then do the following:
Shape the dough into the ball and place it on a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Rather than baking it right away, you will cover it with a tea towel and allow it to rest for about 30-35 minutes. (Dust the loaf with flour so it doesn’t stick to the towel.)
Heat your oven to 450 degrees.
When the dough has rested for a half hour, remove the tea towel.
The Dutch oven creates a humid environment for your loaf to bake in, making a lovely, moist bread. To replicate this environment as much as possible, you will fill a pie plate or muffin tin with a cup of hot water.
Place the pan of water on the lower shelf in your oven, and gently slide the baking sheet with the dough into the upper rack, in the middle of your oven.
Bake for 35 minutes, then carefully slide the loaf on the parchment paper, directly onto the oven rack. Remove the baking sheet and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
In my opinion, a good, oven-safe Dutch oven is a must have for every kitchen. I would strongly suggest getting one if you don’t have one. But until then, this method will replicate the results as closely as possible, without the use of a Dutch oven.
Have issues with your yeast bread? Check out What’s Wrong with my Bread!? | A Yeast Bread Troubleshooting Guide
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 1/2 c lukewarm water
- To begin, combine the flour, salt and yeast in a mixing bowl. Stir those together and add the lukewarm water. Stir this all together with a rubber spatula.
- With the spatula, push it into a round ball-like shape and cover it with plastic wrap. Set it on your counter and walk away.
- The next day (12-18 hours later) you will preheat your oven to 450 degrees. At the same time, you will also preheat an oven safe, cast iron Dutch oven with lid.
- NOTE: This bread can also be made "same day" if you start the dough early in the morning and let it rest for a minimum of 6 hours. It will not develop the same flavor, but will still be a wonderful loaf of artisan bread.
- While it is heating, spread a good dusting of flour onto a work surface. Remove the plastic from the bowl plop the sticky blob of dough out onto your floured surface.
- With floured hands, pull out any dough that remains in the bowl. Shape the dough into a ball, and cover it with the plastic until the oven is finished heating.
- When it is ready, take the hot Dutch oven out of the oven, and carefully drop your dough in.
- Bake it with the lid on for 30 minutes, and then remove the lid and bake for 15 more minutes. Remove it from the oven and let it cool on a rack.
- This is a soft, tender bread, with an “artisan” crunchy crust.
- You can make any number of variations of this. You can add some shredded cheese, some herbs, citrus zest…how about cranberries and lemon zest? Or raisins? Mozzarella & some dried oregano? Experiment and have fun…what combinations might you come up with?
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 439mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday