Diced chicken in a creamy sauce, topped with seasoned cornbread dressing. You’ll love this recipe from Mamaw.
I originally got this recipe from my mother-in-law, Marie – or as all the grandkids call her, “Mamaw.” Now she makes this with the classic cans of cream of celery soup and cream of chicken soup. But in all honesty, I haven’t bought those cans of soup in years. I make a quick, homemade version to replace those in my recipes.
It simply starts with simmering diced onion & celery in butter. Don’t all great recipes start that way?
Those are then divided and used to make the creamy sauce.
Cornbread dressing is mixed up.
The instructions below include cooking the boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you can make this with leftover chicken or turkey from another meal, or even a rotisserie chicken from the store.
These are all layered into your baking dish and popped into the oven.
This recipe continues to be a family favorite to this day, and the leftovers the next day are just as good!
Mamaw's Chicken Casserole
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 c onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 6 Tb butter, divided
- 1/4 c flour
- 4 c chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1 tsp thyme, divided
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 3/4 tsp sage, divided
- 1 package, 14 ounces dry cornbread dressing mix (Such as Pepperidge Farm)
- To begin, place the chicken breasts in a saucepan.
- Cover with water and add 1/4 teaspoon salt to the water.
- Bring this to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender. When it is done, transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it rest.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Finely dice the onion, and celery.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter.
- Add in the onion & celery and simmer over medium low heat until they are tender.
- Scoop half of the mixture into a mixing bowl. Set aside for a moment.
- To the saucepan, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Over medium low heat, melt the butter.
- Sprinkle in the flour. Whisk it in and let it cook for just a minute.
- Pour in 1½ cup of the chicken broth and the milk. Add in ½ teaspoon each of thyme & pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of sage and salt. Stirring continually, bring it to a gentle boil and it will thicken nicely. Remove from heat.
- Dice or shred the chicken.
- To the onion mixture in the bowl, add the cornbread dressing, ½ teaspoon each of thyme, sage and pepper, and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Pour in the remaining 2½ cups of chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Spread your cooked, shredded chicken in the bottom of a 9×13 or similar baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the gravy over the top.
- Spread the dressing mixture over all. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until the dressing on top is golden and crisped.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.
You May Also Like:
- How to Make Cream of Chicken (Mushroom, Celery) Soup
- Ham Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Tortilla Bake
- Chicken Cordon Blue Lasagna
- Crunchy Chicken Casserole