Chicken Tortilla Bake is fun dish full of creamy flavor. This is a family favorite and a great pot luck dish too!
Back when I first started blogging, Chicken Tortilla Bake was one of the very first recipes I ever posted. When I posted it, my son Jack had helped me out in the kitchen. I have since altered the ingredients of the recipe to make it healthier (no more canned creamy soups!) but I simply had to keep the original pictures of him doing the prep work. After all, this little guy isn’t a kid any more!
Ready for the oven!
Watch this recipe being made:
- ¼ c butter
- ¼ c flour
- 1 c half & half
- 1½ c chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 – 4 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- ¼ c onion, finely chopped
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 c grated Colby-Jack or sharp cheddar cheese
- To begin, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour. Cook it for just a minute, until bubbly, and then whisk in half & half and chicken broth.
- Stir in the salt & pepper.
- Bring it to a gentle boil, and the mixture will thicken to a nice gravy.
- Remove it from the heat.
- In a good-sized bowl, combine the green chilies, onion, chicken and the sauce, stir together. Cut tortillas in half, and then cut those halves cross-wise into 2 inch wide strips.
- In a greased 9×13 baking dish, spread about ⅓ of a cup of the mixture over the bottom, then layer half of the tortilla strips.
- Spread half of the meat mixture over the tortillas,.
- Sprinkle with a cup or so of shredded colby-jack or cheddar cheese.
- Top it with the other half of the tortillas.
- Spread the remaining meat mixture over that, and then sprinkle with another cup of cheese. Ready for the oven!
- Bake it at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden around the edges.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 838 Total Fat: 49g Saturated Fat: 20g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 25g Cholesterol: 247mg Sodium: 954mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 62g
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday