Chicken Tortilla Bake is fun dish full of creamy flavor. This is a family favorite and a great pot luck dish too!
Back when I first started blogging, Chicken Tortilla Bake was one of the very first recipes I ever posted. When I posted it, my son Jack had helped me out in the kitchen. I have since altered the ingredients of the recipe to make it healthier (no more canned creamy soups!) but I simply had to keep the original pictures of him doing the prep work. After all, this little guy isn’t a kid any more!
Ready for the oven!
Watch this recipe being made:
- ¼ c butter
- ¼ c flour
- 1 c half & half
- 1½ c chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 – 4 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- ¼ c onion, finely chopped
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 c grated Colby-Jack or sharp cheddar cheese
- To begin, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour. Cook it for just a minute, until bubbly, and then whisk in half & half and chicken broth.
- Stir in the salt & pepper.
- Bring it to a gentle boil, and the mixture will thicken to a nice gravy.
- Remove it from the heat.
- In a good-sized bowl, combine the green chilies, onion, chicken and the sauce, stir together. Cut tortillas in half, and then cut those halves cross-wise into 2 inch wide strips.
- In a greased 9×13 baking dish, spread about ⅓ of a cup of the mixture over the bottom, then layer half of the tortilla strips.
- Spread half of the meat mixture over the tortillas,.
- Sprinkle with a cup or so of shredded colby-jack or cheddar cheese.
- Top it with the other half of the tortillas.
- Spread the remaining meat mixture over that, and then sprinkle with another cup of cheese. Ready for the oven!
- Bake it at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden around the edges.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 838 Total Fat 49g Saturated Fat 20g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 25g Cholesterol 247mg Sodium 954mg Carbohydrates 34g Fiber 2g Sugar 2g Protein 62g
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday