Back when I first started blogging, Chicken Tortilla Bake was one of the very first recipes I ever posted. When I posted it, my son Jack had helped me out in the kitchen. I have since altered the ingredients of the recipe to make it healthier (no more canned creamy soups!) but I simply had to keep the original pictures of him doing the prep work. After all, this little guy is much taller than me now, and still growing! So this post will have some new and old pictures in it.
Whisk in 1/4 cup flour.
Cook it for just a minute, until bubbly, and then whisk in 1 cup of half & half and 1 1/2 cup Chicken Broth.
Stir in a half teaspoon each of Salt & Pepper.
Bring it to a gentle boil, and the mixture will thicken to a nice gravy. Remove it from the heat.
In a good-sized bowl, combine a 4 ounce can of chopped green chilies and a quarter cup of minced onion.
Add in 3 or 4 cups of cooked chicken that is diced or shredded.
Add in your sauce.
Stir it all together.
Cut 8 large flour tortillas in half, and then cut those halves cross-wise into 2 inch wide strips.
In a greased 9 x 13 baking dish, spread about 1/3 of a cup of the mixture over the bottom, then layer half of the tortilla strips.
Spread half of the meat mixture over the tortillas, and then sprinkle with a cup or so of shredded Colby-jack or cheddar cheese.
Top it with the other half of the tortillas.
Spread the remaining meat mixture over that, and then sprinkle with another cup of cheese.
Ready for the oven!
Bake it at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden around the edges. Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Here’s some more great recipes for getting your kiddos to take part in the kitchen:
Start your day:
Panko Encrusted French Toast Sticks ~Doggie At the Dinner Table
Bacon, Egg & Sausage Breakfast Cups ~Daily Dish Recipes
Buttermilk French Toast with Homemade Cinnamon – Raisin Bread ~What Smells So Good
Snack Attack: 3 Healthy Choices for Little Nibblers ~Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Fruit Salad in an Orange Cup ~Mama’s Blissful Bites
Whole-wheat Pretzel Dogs ~Family Spice
Poblano Mac ‘N Cheese ~Juanita’s Cocina
Coconut Chicken and Shrimp ~Super for a Steal
Lunie and Mini-me’s Grilled Pizza ~Cravings of a Lunatic
Hedgehog Meatballs and Chili Dog Pie ~Cooking by the Seat of our Pants
Walking Tostada ~Shockingly Delicious
Mini Corn Dog Muffins ~In The Kitchen With KP
Golden Potato Patties ~My Trials in the Kitchen
Spaghetti Tacos ~Girlichef
Parmesan Corn on the Cob ~Home Cooking Memories
Pad Thai ~Meal Planning Magic
Chocolate Slab ~Happy Baking Days
Self-Crust Coconut Pie ~Magnolia Days
Fresh Cherry Clafoutis ~The Meltaways
Wolf’s Wonderful Peanut Butter-Brownie Fudge Sundaes ~The Weekend Gourmet
Healthy Creamy Caramel Apple Parfaits with Greek Yogurt ~Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Chocolate and Salted Caramel Pudding Pops ~Hezzi-D’s Cooks and Books
Chocolate Cheese Turnover ~Basic and Delicious
Purple Blueberry Cake ~Tora’s Real Food
Tropical Popsicles ~Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
Carrot Cupcakes ~ Diabetic Foodie
- ¼ c butter
- ¼ c flour
- 1 c half & half
- 1½ c chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 – 4 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- ¼ c onion, finely chopped
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 c grated Colby-Jack or sharp cheddar cheese
- To begin, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour. Cook it for just a minute, until bubbly, and then whisk in half & half and chicken broth.
- Stir in the salt & pepper.
- Bring it to a gentle boil, and the mixture will thicken to a nice gravy.
- Remove it from the heat.
- In a good-sized bowl, combine the green chilies, onion, chicken and the sauce, stir together. Cut tortillas in half, and then cut those halves cross-wise into 2 inch wide strips.
- In a greased 9×13 baking dish, spread about ⅓ of a cup of the mixture over the bottom, then layer half of the tortilla strips.
- Spread half of the meat mixture over the tortillas,.
- Sprinkle with a cup or so of shredded colby-jack or cheddar cheese.
- Top it with the other half of the tortillas.
- Spread the remaining meat mixture over that, and then sprinkle with another cup of cheese. Ready for the oven!
- Bake it at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden around the edges.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 838 Total Fat 49g Saturated Fat 20g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 25g Cholesterol 247mg Sodium 954mg Carbohydrates 34g Fiber 2g Sugar 2g Protein 62g