Chewy and delicious Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies. I grew up eating these, and still love them to this day.
To begin, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup of raisins with a cup of water. Simmer it over low heat for about 20 minutes, and remove from heat. Let them cool.
In a bowl combine 2 ½ cup flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and ½ teaspoon ground cloves.
In a mixing bowl, combine 2 eggs and a cup of sugar.
Add in a half cup of brown sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla.
And then add 3/4 c vegetable shortening. Cream these all together until smooth.
Drain your raisins into a measuring cup. Add enough water, if needed, to make 1/2 cup of liquid.
Add the liquid to the creamy mixture and combine.
Add in your flour mixture, mix until just combined.
Chop up about 2/3 cup of pecans.
Add the pecans, along with 2 cups of rolled oats to the bowl.
And finally the raisins. Fold them all in.
Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto a cookie sheet. Ideally you want to line it with parchment paper, or lightly spritz it with cooking spray. Give these cookies lots of room – I only make 9 at a time.
Bake for 9-10 minutes or until they are golden brown. Allow them to cool about 5 minutes, then remove them to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Repeat with all of the cookie dough. Then enjoy these soft, delicious cookies.
You May Also Like:
- 1 c raisins
- 1 c water
- 2 ½ c flour
- ½ t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- ½ t ground cloves
- ¾ c shortening
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 c rolled oats
- 2/3 c chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, combine the raisins and water. Simmer them over very low heat for 20 minutes, and then remove from heat and cool.
- IN a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugars, eggs, vanilla and shortening.
- Drain the raisins and reserve the liquid in a measuring cup. Add water, if needed, to make 1/2 cup of liquid. Add the liquid to the creamed mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the raisins, oats and pecans.
- Scoop by rounded tablespoons onto a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper, or lightly spritzed with cooking spray. Give them plenty of room (I only bake 9 at a time.)
- Bake 9-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes, then remove to a baking rack to finish cooling. Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 13mg Sodium: 112mg Carbohydrates: 21g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g