You can enjoy the flavors of summer any time of the year, with this fantastic recipe for pecan crusted chicken topped with a gorgeous salsa of chipotle and Florida strawberries!
This post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
When you think of spring, don’t you almost automatically think of strawberries? They are such a cheerful fruit, from their happy blushing color to their sweet flavor. They have always been one of my favorite fruits. Not only are they delicious, but they are incredibly healthy as well. A cup of strawberries (about 8 medium) has less than 50 calories, but at the same time contains your entire daily required amount of Vitamin C. They also contain folate, manganese and gobs of antioxidants. You can find out more about how nutritious strawberries are in this article. After you read all about them, you’ll want to head to the store and get yourself some Florida strawberries, they’re in season right now!
I love how strawberries can add a pop of flavor to any dish, and not just desserts. They are wonderful sliced over pancakes, folded into a great chicken salad, or even added a savory dish like the one I am sharing with you today.
To begin, you’ll saute some finely diced red onion in a skillet with coconut oil. When they are just tender, toss in a cup of diced strawberries and a tablespoon of finely minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. Stir these together and let them cook for about 4 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in a 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of honey. Remove it from the heat and set this aside for now.
For the chicken, you’ll need 6 thin chicken breast fillets. These should be about 1/2 inch thick. Lightly salt & pepper them on each side.
In a dish, combine 1 cup of finely chopped pecans and 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs. Stir them together and set it aside for now.
Place 2/3 cup of plain Greek yogurt in a gallon sized zip-top storage bag. Add the chicken to the bag, close it and give it a shake to thoroughly coat the chicken with the yogurt. Remove the chicken fillets from the bag and dredge them in the breading mixture, coating both sides.
In two large non-stick skillets, heat a tablespoon each of butter and extra virgin olive in each skillet over medium high heat. Cook the chicken until it is golden brown on each side and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
Serve the chicken topped with your wonderful strawberry chipotle salsa.
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 Tb coconut oil
- 1 cup diced Florida strawberries
- 1 Tb minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (seeds removed)
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 c finely chopped pecans (pulse them in a food processor)
- ¾ c Panko bread crumbs
- 6 chicken breast cutlets (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ⅔ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tb butter (more if needed)
- 2 Tb extra virgin olive oil (more if needed)
- To begin, you’ll saute the red onion in a skillet with the coconut oil. When they are just tender, toss in the diced strawberries and a minced chipotle pepper. Stir these together and let them cook for about 4 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in the honey and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Remove it from the heat and set this aside for now.
- Lightly salt & pepper each side of the chicken cutlets and set them aside for a moment.
- In a dish, combine the finely chopped pecans and the Panko bread crumbs. Stir them together and set it aside.
- Place the chicken cutlets in a large zip-lock bag, and pour in the yogurt. Close the bag and give it a shake to thoroughly coat the chicken with the yogurt.
- Remove the chicken fillets from the bag and dredge them in the breading mixture, coating both sides.
- In two large non-stick skillets, heat a tablespoon each of butter and extra virgin olive in each skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook the chicken until it is golden brown on each side and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Add additional butter & oil if needed.
- Serve the chicken topped with your wonderful strawberry chipotle salsa.
While you are checking out all of the great information and strawberry-licious ideas, be sure to enter the #FLStrawberry Instagram photo contest!
To enter, simply share a photo featuring a strawberry using the hashtag #FLStrawberry and you could win a $100, $50, or $25 gift card
This contest will run from 12/27/15 – 01/17/16.
The winners will be chosen at random and announced during the LIVE #SundaySupper Twitter Party 01/17/16!
(You do have to be a US resident 18 years of age or older.)
In addition to the Pecan Crusted Chicken with Strawberry Chipotle Salsa, check out all of these wonderful recipes featuring happy little strawberries!
Strawberries for Starters
- Crispy Strawberry and Brie Bites by Ruffles & Truffles
- Strawberry Balsamic Chicken Flatbread by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Ball by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Strawberries for Breakfast
- Creamy Strawberry Chia Seed Avocado Smoothie by An Appealing Plan
- Fresh Strawberry Breakfast Parfait by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Bread by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Breakfast Cake by Recipe for Perfection
- Strawberry French Toast Kabobs by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Strawberry Guacamole & Bacon Toast by I’m Not the Nanny
Strawberries for Lunch
- Strawberry-Poppyseed Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Casa de Crews
- Venison Street Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberry Brie Flatbread Salad by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Caprese Salad by Life Tastes Good
Strawberries for Dinner
- Balsamic Pork Salad with Strawberries and Goat Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthy One Pot Chicken Strawberry Paella by Food Done Light
- Pecan Chicken with Strawberry Chipotle Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Quinoa with Salmon and Strawberries by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Risotto by Magnolia Days
Plus don’t miss Delicious Strawberry Ideas and Sweet Recipes by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.