You can enjoy the flavors of spring, with this fantastic recipe for pecan crusted chicken topped with a gorgeous salsa of chipotle and strawberries!
This post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association. All opinions are my own.
When you think of spring, don’t you almost automatically think of strawberries? They are such a cheerful fruit, from their happy blushing color to their sweet flavor. They have always been one of my favorite fruits. Not only are they delicious, but they are incredibly healthy as well.
A cup of strawberries (about 8 medium) has less than 50 calories, but at the same time contains your entire daily required amount of Vitamin C. They also contain folate, manganese and gobs of antioxidants.
I love how strawberries can add a pop of flavor to any dish, and not just desserts. They are wonderful sliced over pancakes, folded into a great chicken salad, or even added a savory dish like the one I am sharing with you today.
To begin, you’ll saute some finely diced red onion in a skillet with coconut oil. When they are just tender, toss in a cup of diced strawberries and a tablespoon of finely minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. Stir these together and let them cook for about 4 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in a 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of honey. Remove it from the heat and set this aside for now.
For the chicken, you’ll need 6 thin chicken breast fillets. These should be about 1/2 inch thick. Lightly salt & pepper them on each side.
In a dish, combine 1 cup of finely chopped pecans and 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs. Stir them together and set it aside for now.
Place 2/3 cup of plain Greek yogurt in a gallon sized zip-top storage bag. Add the chicken to the bag, close it and give it a shake to thoroughly coat the chicken with the yogurt. Remove the chicken fillets from the bag and dredge them in the breading mixture, coating both sides.
In two large non-stick skillets, heat a tablespoon each of butter and extra virgin olive in each skillet over medium high heat. Cook the chicken until it is golden brown on each side and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
Serve the chicken topped with your wonderful strawberry chipotle salsa.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Pecan Crusted Chicken with Strawberry Chipotle Salsa
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 Tb coconut oil
- 1 cup diced Florida strawberries
- 1 Tb minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (seeds removed)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c finely chopped pecans (pulse them in a food processor)
- 3/4 c Panko bread crumbs
- 6 chicken breast cutlets (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tb butter (more if needed)
- 2 Tb extra virgin olive oil (more if needed)
- To begin, you’ll saute the red onion in a skillet with the coconut oil. When they are just tender, toss in the diced strawberries and a minced chipotle pepper. Stir these together and let them cook for about 4 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in the honey and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Remove it from the heat and set this aside for now.
- Lightly salt & pepper each side of the chicken cutlets and set them aside for a moment.
- In a dish, combine the finely chopped pecans and the Panko bread crumbs. Stir them together and set it aside.
- Place the chicken cutlets in a large zip-lock bag, and pour in the yogurt. Close the bag and give it a shake to thoroughly coat the chicken with the yogurt.
- Remove the chicken fillets from the bag and dredge them in the breading mixture, coating both sides.
- In two large non-stick skillets, heat a tablespoon each of butter and extra virgin olive in each skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook the chicken until it is golden brown on each side and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Add additional butter & oil if needed.
- Serve the chicken topped with your wonderful strawberry chipotle salsa.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 708mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.
14 thoughts on “Pecan Crusted Chicken with Strawberry Chipotle Salsa”
Oh that salsa!! Sounds absolutely delicious!
I have been waiting for this one since your husband was bragging about it at work. :)
I was already a fan of pecan chicken and then you took it up another delicious level with that incredible salsa. Way to go!
Thank you Renee!
That pecan crust! Wow! How perfectly crunchy. Love the color pop of the strawberries.
Thank you Katie!
I love pecans and chicken the strawberries puts this over the top delicious!
Thank you Cindy!
Crunchy Pecan crusted chicken sounds awesome with the strawberry salsa!
Oh what a combo! I bet the sweet strawberry salsa is so perfect with this crunchy pecan crusted chicken! This is for sure going to make an appearance very soon on our dinner menu!
Thank you Nichole!
I love how crispy your chicken is and I bet that salsa is just the right amount of sweet and spicy! yummmm