You’ll love this pineapple upside down cake using crushed pineapple. Not only is it delicious, but it is much easier to serve than using the slices.
This cake has been my favorite cake of all time since I was a kid. I often requested this for my birthday, and now-a-days my daughter does the honors when it rolls around.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a 10 inch cast iron skillet, melt 1/3 cup of butter over very low heat.
Meanwhile, drain a 14 ounce can of crushed pineapple. Press the excess juice from the pineapple as well. You want this as dry as possible. Set aside.
In a bowl, combine 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir together and set aside.
When the butter is melted, add in 1/2 cup brown sugar. Stir it together to dissolve, and remove it from the heat.
In your mixing bowl, beat together 1/3 cup shortening and 1 cup sugar until creamed together. Beat in 2 eggs.
Mix in half of your dry ingredients.
Mix in 2/3 cup milk
Mix in the remaining dry ingredients, and finally add in 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
Grab your pineapple and spread it over the bottom of the skillet with the butter and brown sugar.
Gently spread the batter over pineapple.
Bake this for 40-50 minutes or until it tests done with a toothpick. Allow it to rest in the skillet for a couple minutes, then turn it out onto your platter.
I love this part…the little bits of pineapple that OOPS! Get left in the pan. Let me take care of this real quick!
Cool the cake completely.
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 1/3 c butter
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 14 oz. crushed pineapple
- 1 1/3 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 c shortening
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 c milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 10 inch cast iron skillet, melt the butter over very low heat.
- Meanwhile stir the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- To the melted butter, add the brown sugar. Stir together and let the brown sugar dissolve.
- Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the shortening and sugar until creamy.
- Add in the eggs, and mix well.
- Mix in half of your dry ingredients. Then add in the milk, and finally the remaining dry ingredients.
- Stir in the vanilla. Beat for just a minute until smooth.
- Press any excess liquid from the pineapple and then spread the pineapple over the bottom of the skillet.
- Gently pour the batter over the top and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until it tests done with a toothpick.
- Allow it to cool a couple minutes in the skillet, then turn it out onto a platter.
- Cool completely, and enjoy!
If you do not have a cast iron skillet, this can be made in a round cake pan. Simply melt the butter before adding it to the pan. Do the same from there.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 360mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 1gSugar: 43gProtein: 5g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.