With apple, carrot, pineapple and more, these fantastic breakfast muffins will get you started on your day.
To begin, line a standard muffin pan with papers and set it aside.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Core an apple. I used red delicious, but you could also use a Granny Smith. Once it is cored, shred the apple with a grater.
Put the shredded apple into a sieve over a dish to catch the liquid.
Add in 8 ounces of crushed pineapple with the liquid.
Press the juice out of the fruit. Using the bottom of a small dish works great.
Set the fruit aside. Take the juice, and pour it into a small saucepan. Bring the juice to a boil, and let it cook down to 1/4 cup. Then let it cool. You can let it do this while you continue with the recipe. To cool the juice concentrate quickly, pour it into a shallow dish, and set it in your freezer for a few minutes.
Then in the same little pan, melt one stick (1/2 cup) of butter.
Shred 2 large Carrots. Set aside.
In a bowl, combine 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir them all together.
In a mixing bowl, combine the melted, cooled butter and 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
And the cooled juice concentrate.
Mix it all together.
Mix in the dry mixture, about half at a time. Mix until just combined.
Finely chop up about 1/2 cup of Pecans.
Add the pecans, pineapple, apple and carrots to the batter and stir them in.
Scoop the batter into the muffin cups.
These muffins don’t rise a great deal, so it is okay to fill them right to the top.
Bake for 22-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow them to cool a little bit, and then enjoy warm or room temperature.
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, with juice
- 1 apple, shredded
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 ¼ c all-purpose flour
- ¾ c sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ c pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin pan with papers, or grease the pan.
- In a dish with a sieve, drain the pineapple and shredded apple, pressing as much juice as possible into the dish. Set the fruit aside, and pour the juice into a small saucepan. Bring the juice to a medium boil, and cook it down to ¼ cup. Allow the juice to cool.
- Melt the stick of butter, and allow it to cool as well.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, juice, eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, in two batches, until just mixed.
- Stir in the chopped pecans, carrots, pineapple and apple.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tin. It is okay to fill the cups, as these do not rise a great deal.
- Bake 22-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Enjoy warm or room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 407mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 5g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.