A perfectly cooked, whole chicken is a breeze to make in your Instant Pot. See how to make this simple, basic recipe and make supper effortless.
This whole chicken is not only great as the entree for your meal, but is also an excellent way to prepare cooked chicken for other recipes, such as chicken salad.
You May Also Like:
- The Ultimate Instant Pot Soup Collection: 100 Recipes!
- How to Make Hearty Beef Stew in the Instant Pot
- Barbacoa Tacos (In the Instant Pot)
- Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
For the first time, I have filmed a cooking video with a multi-camera set-up.
Not to toot my own horn, but I am pretty proud of how this cooking video turned out, and plan to do most of my future recipe videos in this fashion. I hope you like my “Food Network” style video.
Watch the video here:
- 2 Tb coconut oil
- 1 whole chicken (giblets removed)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 c water (or white wine)
- To begin, pat the outside of your chicken dry with paper towels.
- Press the "saute" button on your Instant Pot.
- Add the coconut oil to the pot and let it get nice and hot. You want the oil shimmering, but not smoking hot. Just before placing the chicken in the pot, swirl the pot to coat the whole bottom with the oil.
- Place the chicken breast side down in the pot and leave it alone.
- Allow the chicken to sear for 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is nice and golden.
- Press the "Off" button.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set it on a plate, breast side up, for a moment.
- Place the rack that came with your Instant Pot down inside it.
- Sprinkle the seasonings over the top of the chicken.
- Pour the water (or white wine) down into the Instant Pot. If I am cooking this recipe as the entree, I like to use wine for the added flavor. If I am using the chicken for another recipe, I will often use water. Use whichever you prefer.
- Place the chicken on the rack inside the Instant Pot, breast side up.
- Close and seal the Instant Pot.
- Press the "Poultry" button and adjust the time to 40 minutes.
- Allow the cycle to run on high pressure.
- When the chicken is finished, you can enjoy this as your entree or use it in other recipes that require cooked chicken.
- If you wish to crisp up the skin on your chicken before serving, you can place it under your broiler for just a minute or two.
- Try this with other seasonings for a variety of versions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 135mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 20g
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday.