Filled with tons of flavor and a bit of heat, this Zippy Kielbasa & Rice will warm and fill you up on a cold, winter day.
You’ll love the simplicity of this one-pot, skillet meal. No need to dirty lots of dishes to make it. The rice cooks right in the skillet with the rest of the ingredients.
This dish does have a little heat to it, so if you have littles, you may want to omit the ancho chile powder.
- 1 lb beef kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies (mild)
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 1/2 c chicken broth (extra if needed)
- 1 c long grain rice, uncooked
- shredded cheese for topping
- To begin, cook the sliced sausage, onion and butter together in a large skillet over medium heat until the sausages are slightly golden and the onions are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add in the chili powder, ancho chile powder, black pepper and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the tomato sauce, green chilies, black beans, corn, chicken broth and rice. Stir to combine.
- Bring this to a gentle boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Monitor this as it cooks and add a little extra chicken broth if the mixture begins to get too dry before the rice is cooked through.
If you have little ones, omit the ancho chili powder to reduce the heat a little.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 443 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 72mg Sodium: 1762mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 8g Protein: 17g