Classic Carrot Cake has always been one of my favorite kinds of cake. So moist and flavorful and the finish of traditional cream cheese frosting does it for me every time.
To begin, you’ll preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons each of baking soda and cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon of fine salt and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg. Give those a stir with a whisk to combine them. Set the bowl aside for now.
Finely chop 2/3 of a cup of pecans. You’ll divide these when you use them, but set this aside for now.
Shred 2 cups of carrots. This took me 5 medium carrots, but will vary depending on your carrot size. Set these aside for a moment as well.
In your mixing bowl, beat together 4 eggs until frothy. Add in 2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Beat these until smooth.
Fold the carrots and 1/2 cup of the chopped pecans into the cake batter. Pour the batter into a greased & floured bundt cake pan. (You could spray the pan liberally with “baking” spray that has flour already mixed in instead of greasing & flouring it by hand. That is what I did here.)
Bake this for 35-45 minutes or until it tests done with a wooden pick.
When it is done baking, place the pan on a rack and cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes.
Then turn the cake out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
Once the cake is completely cooled, you can frost it with the cream cheese frosting. (Recipe included in the printable below.)
Once it is frosted, sprinkle it with the remaining chopped pecans.
- For the Cake:
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp fine salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ⅔ c finely chopped pecans, divided
- 2 c shredded carrots
- 4 eggs
- 2 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ c extra virgin olive oil
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ c unsalted butter, room temperature
- 16 oz Neufchatel cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1¾ c powdered sugar
- For the Cake:
To begin, you’ll preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Give those a stir with a whisk to combine them. Set the bowl aside for now.
- Finely chop your pecans and set them aside for now.
- Shred your carrots and set them aside for a moment as well.
- In your mixing bowl, beat together the eggs until frothy. Add in the sugar, vanilla and oil. Beat these until smooth.
- Fold the carrots and ½ cup of the chopped pecans into the cake batter. Pour the batter into a greased & floured bundt cake pan. (You could spray the pan liberally with “baking” spray that has flour already mixed in instead of greasing & flouring it by hand. That is what I did here.)
- Bake this for 35-45 minutes or until it tests done with a wooden pick.
- Cool it on a rack, in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
For the Frosting:
In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together on high speed until it is nice and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Add in the powdered sugar, mixing slowly at first, and then beating it on high until it is smooth.
- Spread the frosting onto the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle with the remaining chopped pecans.
This week the Sunday Supper team is bringing you a fantastic collection of root recipes…as in made from root vegetables, like the Carrot Cake I shared here today. In the collection, you will find everything from appetizers to desserts. Be sure to check them out!
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma’s Meals
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Root Vegetable and Beef Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Our Good Life
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica’s Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apples, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Iced Beet Cake from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals
Thanks to Cindy for hosting today!
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement