This is a delicious meal with eggs, crispy bacon, and flavorful asparagus; and it’s all made right in one skillet. It is simple to make and clean-up is a breeze.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
This simple recipe starts with bacon, sautéed until nice and crisp.
Then using some of the awesome bacon drippings, you sauté the asparagus right there in the same pan.
In goes some beaten eggs, toss the bacon back in, and slide the whole skillet into the oven.
A short time later you have an amazingly simple and healthy dish that is perfect for any meal of the day…and any day of the week.
Note: If you make this recipe with turkey (or beef) bacon to be biblically clean like I now do, you may need to add additional oil/fat as alternative bacons are very lean. See this recipe at Wholesome Skillet: How to Make Crispy Turkey Bacon
Bacon & Asparagus Egg Skillet
- 12 slices uncured bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 12 asparagus spears, ends trimmed off and discarded
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 eggs
- To begin, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In an oven safe skillet (I use a 12-inch cast iron one) sauté the bacon over medium heat until golden and crisp.
- Scoop the bacon onto a plate that is lined with paper towels. Set it aside for now.
- Keep about 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings in your skillet, remove any excess.
- Sauté the asparagus in the bacon drippings over medium heat until they just begin to soften. Remove the skillet from the heat. Arrange the asparagus evenly across the bottom of the skillet.
- Combine the eggs, salt, and pepper in a bowl and beat together.
- Pour the egg mixture over the asparagus spears.
- Sprinkle the bacon all over the top.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the eggs are set and slightly golden on top.
- Allow it to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.
This recipe is a great dish for potlucks!
When making it for a potluck, I use the following measurement increases:
- 15-16 slices bacon
- 15-16 asparagus spears
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 12 eggs
To make this dish, prepare it much the same way as you do for the regular recipe. However, cut the asparagus into 1 inch pieces. This will make it easier for serving.
Once the asparagus has been cooked in the bacon drippings, arrange the asparagus bits in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Pour in your egg mixture and sprinkle in the bacon as above.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the eggs are set and slightly golden on top.
Cover the dish and take it to your potluck!
Note: I no longer eat pork, however I am leaving recipes like this one up for those who enjoy it. Many pork recipes can be easily converted to turkey or chicken recipes, with little or even no other changes. Recipes with bacon or sausage can use alternatives like beef or turkey bacon. Article: Why I Quit Eating Pork