Making refrigerator pickles is the easiest way to enjoy homemade pickles, as there is no canning involved.
This year our garden has struggled a bit from a number of things, but one thing we have not been lacking in, is cucumbers. Every day we have cucumbers coming ripe and waiting to be used. Good thing Mr. Smith likes to eat them! Every day he takes sliced cucumbers and ranch dressing with him to work for his mid-morning snack.
Me? Well, I actually don’t like cucumbers at all. I can’t even stand the smell of them. Unless they are pickled. Then I love them!
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
These very simple pickles are a great way to enjoy your cucumbers, whether you are picky like me or a cucumber eating fool like the man of the house here.
You’ll love how easy these pickles are to make!
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 4 c water
- 2 c white vinegar
- 2 Tb kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- large sprigs of fresh dill
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled & smashed
- 30 whole peppercorns
- 10-12 pickling cucumbers
- To begin, combine the water, vinegar, salt and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir the liquid over the heat until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Cut your cucumbers into spears or slices if you prefer.
- Place 3-4 garlic cloves in the jar.
- Arrange the cucumbers inside the jar. When the jar is half filled, add a large sprig of fresh dill to the jar. Then continue to add the cucumbers until the jar is filled.
- Sprinkle 10 peppercorns into the jar.
- Pour the brine in until the cucumbers are completely covered. Repeat this process with all of the cucumbers and other ingredients. This usually makes 3 quart jars of pickle spears when I make them,
- Cover the jars and refrigerate for one week. Then your pickles are ready! They will be good for about a month to a month and a half.
You will need 3 quart jars, wide-mouth jars work best.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 30Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1063mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday.