Moist and flavorful Banana Bread with toasted pecans.
There’s just something about banana bread. The simplicity of its flavor. The crunch of the nuts. If you are a banana bread lover, this is the banana bread recipe that you need to make.
I have made several versions over the years, but I think that this is the best one I have ever made. You will love this bread!
Take the few extra minutes to toast your pecans before you mix them into the bread. It is worth it!
TIP! See the note below the recipe about how I coat my pans for baking. You’ll also see a link for the loaf pan you see here. If you have never baked in a cast iron loaf pan, you are missing out.
- 1/2 c chopped pecans
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt, I use fine sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup 1/2 of a stick unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 whole eggs, plus one yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c mashed bananas, this will use approximately 4 bananas, but be sure to measure it
- 1/3 c sour cream
- 2 Tb turbinado or raw sugar
- - You will also need aluminum foil
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast your pecans by placing them in a small, heavy skillet over medium dry heat. This should be a dry skillet with no oil. Heat the pecans, stirring often, until they are fragrant and have turned a deeper shade of brown. Be sure not to scorch them or they will be bitter. Set them aside for now.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set it aside.
- In your mixing bowl, combine the melted butter and sugars. Beat these until they are light and creamy.
- Beat in the two eggs and the additional egg yolk, along with the vanilla.
- Mix in the mashed bananas.
- Add in half of the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Add in the sour cream, mixing until combined.
- Add in the remaining flour mixture. Mix until combined, making sure the scrape the bowl with a rubbers spatula.
- Fold in the toasted pecans.
- Spread the batter in a standard 9 x 5 inch loaf pan that has been greased and floured or sprayed with baking spray. (The spray that contains flour.)
- Sprinkle the coarse turbinado/raw sugar over the top.
- Bake this for 30 minutes. Carfeully cover the pan with foil, and bake for another 40 minutes or until it tests done in the center with a wooden pick.
- Cool the bread in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Remove it from the pan and cool in completely.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 467 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 8g Cholesterol 90mg Sodium 321mg Carbohydrates 80g Fiber 4g Sugar 44g Protein 7g
Shop this Post:
I have two kinds of cast iron loaf pans. They both work equally well. You can find links to them below.