Moist and airy buttermilk breakfast cakes topped with gorgeous, roasted fresh strawberries. This is how you want to start your mornings.
These little cakes are perfect for a Sunday brunch or quite frankly, just because. Have one in the afternoon with a mug of tea, or in the morning with your coffee.
However or whenever you choose to enjoy these is up to you, but you will love them any time of day!
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
To Make these little Buttermilk Cakes you will need:
- fresh strawberries
- extra virgin olive oil
- real maple syrup (extra for serving)
- golden balsamic vinegar
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- fine sea salt
- unsalted butter
- demerara sugar
- baking sheet
- scone/wedge pan
- mixing bowls
These little cakes are absolutely lovely. They are fluffy and moist, and the roasted strawberries are simply amazing.
You are going to adore these!
Shop this Post:
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tb real maple syrup (extra for serving)
- 3 Tb golden balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 c unsalted butter, melted but not hot
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 c demerara sugar
- To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Hull the strawberries and cut each strawberry in half lengthwise. Place them in a small bowl.
- In another small bowl, combine the extra virgin olive oil, maple syrup and amber balsamic vinegar. Whisk these together and pour over the strawberries. Gentle turn the strawberries to coat them in the glaze.
- Pour the strawberries and glaze onto a rimmed baking sheet or other shallow baking dish, such as a 9x13 cake pan. Bake these for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and sea salt in your mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter.
- Add these to the dry ingredients and mix until combined and there are no lumps, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Spray your wedge pan with non-stick cooking spray. Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter into each wedge.
- Place a strawberry half on top of the batter in each wedge, and sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- Bake this for 20-22 minutes, or until the cakes test done with a wooden pick.
- Serve topped with additional strawberries and a drizzle of maple syrup.
If you do not have a wedge/scone pan, these can be baked in a prepared muffin pan as well.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 359Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 362mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 7g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday.