Chunky bits of apple in cupcakes topped with caramel icing and caramel drizzle make these Caramel Apple Cupcakes a crazy-good autumn treat!
To begin, line two muffin pans with papers. Set aside. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, combine 3 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Stir together and set aside.
In your mixing bowl, beat 3 eggs.
Pour in 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.
3/4 cup sour cream.
1/2 cup of plain applesauce
and a cup each of sugar and brown sugar, along with 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Beat those until creamy and smooth.
Add in the flour mixture. Mix until smooth.
Core and dice 3 cups of Granny Smith apple.
Stir in the apples. Scoop the batter into the baking pans. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until they test done with a tooth pick.
Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.
Now for the icing. Melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter in a saucepan.
Add in a cup of brown sugar and 1/3 cup half & half.
Stir these together over medium heat, until melted and it begins to boil.
Allow it to boil 1 minute, and then while stirring vigorously, add in a teaspoon of vanilla. Turn off the heat and stir for another minute.
Set aside 2 tablespoons of the caramel sauce.
Place the rest in your mixing bowl and allow it to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
Mix in 3 cups of powdered sugar, mixing until smooth.
If it is too thick, add a couple tablespoons of milk.
Dip the cupcakes into the icing.
Drizzle with a little of the reserved caramel sauce. If the sauce is too thick, pop it in the microwave for 5 seconds to thin it.
For the Cupcakes
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c plain apple sauce
- 3/4 c sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 c diced apples
For the Icing
- 1 stick (1/2 c) butter
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/3 c half & half
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tb milk, if needed
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin pans (24 cupcakes) with papers. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir together, and set aside.
- In your mixing bowl beat the eggs. Add in the sugars, oil, applesauce, sour cream and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Add in the flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Stir in the diced apples.
- Scoop the batter into the pans.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes or until they test done with a toothpick.
- Remove from the pan and cool on a rack.
- To prepare the frosting, melt the butter, brown sugar and half & half together in a sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continually. Boil for 1 minute.
- While stirring vigorously, add in the vanilla.
- Remove from heat and stir for another minute.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of the caramel in a dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce into your mixing bowl to cool to room temperature. Stir occasionally.
- When the sauce is cooled, mix in the powdered sugar and beat until smooth. If it is too thick, add the milk and beat.
- Dip the cupcakes into the icing. Drizzle a little of the reserved caramel sauce on the tops. If the sauce is too thick to drizzle, pop it in the microwave for 5 seconds.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 1gSugar: 40gProtein: 3g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.