This time of year, many people turn to the famous “pumpkin spice latte” drink that you can find in local coffee shops just after the beginning of September. Well, a few years ago, I decided to take that iconic Autumn beverage and turn it into a cupcake – and here it is!
Enjoy these beauties with a cup of coffee!
- 2 2/3 c flour
- 1 1/2 Tb instant espresso powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups solid packed cooked pumpkin
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c plain applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Frosting
- 8 ounce Mascarpone cheese
- 2 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tb coffee liqueur
- To begin, line 2 standard muffin pans (24 muffins) with papers and set aside. Preheat oven your to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl combine flour, espresso powder, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Stir that together and set it aside for now.
- In your mixing bowl combine pumpkin, sugars, applesauce and the extra virgin olive oil. Mix those together until smooth. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Stir in the vanilla. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined and smooth.
- Scoop batter evenly into the pans. Bake 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the largest cupcake comes out clean. Carefully remove the hot cupcakes to a cooling rack and cool completely before topping.
- For the frosting - Beat the cheese in your mixing bowl until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugarand cinnamon - and mix until smooth. Add in the vanilla and coffee liqueur, mix until combined. Top each cupcake with a dollops of frosting in the middle.
If you can not find espresso powder, you can use instant coffee granules. To do so, double the amount to 3 tablespoons and “mash” the granules into a fine powder with a mortar & pestle or the back of a spoon in a bowl.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 3g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.
I love, love, LOVE this time of year. I love all things Autumn – the weather changing, the colors in nature and the delicious recipes that come out to play.
Check out all of these creative ways to use squash from your garden or farmers market:
Starters – Appetizers & Cocktails:
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie in a Glass from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
Pickles & Relish:
Soups & Salads:
- Creamy Dairyfree Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Pumpkin Soup with Bacon and Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camillia
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Risotto with Butternut Squash, Chicken and Sage from Cooking Chat
- Sausage and Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Kabocha no Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet and Savory Roasted Delicata Squash and Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler with Cornbread Topping from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Sweets to Start or End the Day:
- Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Buns with Cookie Butter Glaze from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks