A classic staple, Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole is found on just about every potluck table, and is almost always the first to vanish. This is a Cracker Barrel copycat recipe!
A couple weeks ago, I was running errands and found myself in a little local grocery store, and starving to death! Okay not really, but my stomach was noisily complaining and I realized I had not eaten all day.
So I moseyed on over to the deli area to see if there was anything that talked back. I just wanted to grab a little something to shut my stomach up until I was done with my errands. What did I find? Cheesy hash brown casserole.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
I hadn’t had this in years, and well, I forgot just how good it was! Then last weekend, I had a ladies breakfast to go to, and I‘m not a huge meal in the morning kind of person. But what did I see on the Cracker Barrel menu? Yep! I ordered a side dish of cheesy hash brown casserole.
So a couple days ago I decided I needed to make this for the family – and figured I should share my recipe for it with you here.
My version is almost identical to the “Cracker Barrel” version – but you don’t have any canned soups involved in this. (I think mine is even better.)
To make this recipe you will need:
- all-purpose flour
- chicken broth
- sweet onion
- sour cream
- sharp cheddar cheese
- frozen hash browns
- mixing bowl
- baking pan
Watch me make this recipe:
How to Make Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole – Cracker Barrel Copycat
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. When it is melted whisk in 1/4 cup of flour and let it bubble and cook for just a minute.
Whisk in 2/3 cup each of chicken broth and milk.
Cook this over medium heat, stirring continually until it comes to a gentle boil. Remove from heat.
Very finely dice 1/2 cup of onion. I used a vidalia onion for the mild, sweet flavor.
In a large bowl, combine the onion and 2 cups of sour cream.
Grate some sharp cheddar cheese – about 2 cups.
Stir in the cheese, along with some salt & pepper – about 1/2 teaspoon each.
Pour in your chicken broth mixture.
Stir in 2 pounds of frozen hash browns.
And finally stir in 1 stick of butter, melted. (1/2 cup)
Mix it all together, and spread it into a 9×13 baking dish that has been greased or sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake this for 45 minutes or until it begins to get a little golden on top.
You May Also Like:
- Sausage and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Double Chocolate Fudge Cola Cake – Cracker Barrel Copycat Recipe
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- 1/4 c butter, unsalted
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c chicken broth
- 2/3 c milk
- 1/2 c finely diced sweet onion
- 2 c sour cream
- 2 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 lb frozen hash browns
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, melt the 1/4 c butter, and then whisk in the flour.
- Cook this over medium heat for just a minute.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Cook and stir until it begins to boil. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine all the rest of the other ingredients. (I like to reserve a handful of the shredded cheese to sprinkle on top before baking. This is optional.)
- Stir in the chicken broth mixture.
- Combine it all and then spread it into a greased (or sprayed with cooking spray) 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the reserved cheese, if you didn’t mix it all in.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until it is just starting to get golden on top, and the potatoes are cooked through.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.
This post was originally published in 2019, and updated in 2021.