A classic staple, Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole is found on just about every potluck table, and is almost always the first to vanish. This is a Cracker Barrel copycat recipe!
A couple weeks ago, I was running errands and found myself in a little local grocery store, and starving to death! Okay not really, but my stomach was noisily complaining and I realized I had not eaten all day.
So I moseyed on over to the deli area to see if there was anything that talked back. I just wanted to grab a little something to shut my stomach up until I was done with my errands. What did I find? Cheesy hash brown casserole.
I hadn’t had this in years, and well, I forgot just how good it was! Then last weekend, I had a ladies breakfast to go to, and I‘m not a huge meal in the morning kind of person. But what did I see on the Cracker Barrel menu? Yep! I ordered a side dish of cheesy hash brown casserole.
So a couple days ago I decided I needed to make this for the family – and figured I should share my recipe for it with you here.
My version is almost identical to the “Cracker Barrel” version – but you don’t have any canned soups involved in this. (I think mine is even better.)
How to Make Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole – Cracker Barrel Copycat
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. When it is melted whisk in 1/4 cup of flour and let it bubble and cook for just a minute.
Whisk in 2/3 cup each of chicken broth and milk.
Cook this over medium heat, stirring continually until it comes to a gentle boil. Remove from heat.
Very finely dice 1/2 cup of onion. I used a vidalia onion for the mild, sweet flavor.
In a large bowl, combine the onion and 2 cups of sour cream.
Grate some sharp cheddar cheese – about 2 cups.
Stir in the cheese, along with some salt & pepper – about 1/2 teaspoon each.
Pour in your chicken broth mixture.
Stir in 2 pounds of frozen hash browns.
And finally stir in 1 stick of butter, melted. (1/2 cup)
Mix it all together, and spread it into a 9×13 baking dish that has been greased or sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake this for 45 minutes or until it begins to get a little golden on top.
You May Also Like:
- Sausage and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Double Chocolate Fudge Cola Cake – Cracker Barrel Copycat Recipe
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/4 c flour
- 2/3 c chicken broth
- 2/3 c milk
- 1/2 c finely diced sweet onion
- 2 c sour cream
- 2 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 lb frozen hash browns
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, melt the 1/4 c butter, and then whisk in the flour.
- Cook this over medium heat for just a minute.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Cook and stir until it begins to boil. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine all the rest of the other ingredients. (I like to reserve a handful of the shredded cheese to sprinkle on top before baking. This is optional.)
- Stir in the chicken broth mixture.
- Combine it all and then spread it into a greased (or sprayed with cooking spray) 9x13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the reserved cheese, if you didn't mix it all in.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until it is just starting to get golden on top, and the potatoes are cooked through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 513mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 13g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday.