This Coconut Rum Cake is a rich yellow cake, bathed in a rum & coconut cream, and topped with rum-coconut glaze and toasted coconut.
Several years ago, when we live in Alaska, a did a lot of volunteer work. I was part of a group of people who were in charge of family readiness. We would have monthly steering committee meetings. Each month, I would bring in snacks for everyone to enjoy.
As our time in Alaska was about to end, we would be leaving soon. One of the people asked me if before I left, could I make a coconut rum cake.
Now I had never made one, but I was up for the challenge. I wasn’t sure what he had in mind when he asked, but here is what I came up with. Not only did the person who requested it love it, but so did everyone else. Since then, this has been one of my favorite special occasion cakes.
This all starts with a rich, moist cake. This cake could be used for many other recipes, and is a great cake recipe, in and of itself.
Once the cake cools, you poke some holes in it so that the rum-laced coconut cream can soak down into it. Heavens to Betsy!
And then just when you don’t think this can get any better, it is topped with a coconut cream cheese frosting and toasted coconut.
This cake is wickedly good!
You will absolutely love this cake!
Don’t know how to toast coconut? It’s easy! See here How to Toast Coconut.
If you’re looking for a traditional coconut cake recipe, check out my Coconut Sheet Cake recipe.
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
For the Cake
- 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs + 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 3/4 tsp coconut extract
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 stick (3/4 c) butter, melted and cooled
For the Rum Glaze
- 2 Tb dark rum
- 2 Tb sugar
- 1/4 c sweetened coconut cream
For the Icing
- 3 Tb cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tb sweetened coconut cream
- 1 Tb dark rum
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 Tb milk (if needed)
- 1 c shredded coconut, toasted
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 inch spring form pan (or cake pan) with parchment paper in the bottom. Grease and flour or spray with non-stick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set it aside for now.
- Beat the eggs and egg yolks together in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add in the sugar, extracts, and melted butter. Mix until smooth.
- Add in the flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until the cake is golden and tests done with a toothpick.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes, and then carefully remove to a cooling rack. While it is still cooling in the pan, you’ll prepare the rum glaze.
- Place the dark rum and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring it to a simmer over medium low heat, and let it cook until the sugar is dissolved. Pour in the coconut cream and continue to simmer another minute or so until it is all combined. Remove it from the heat and set aside for now.
- Once you have removed the cake from the pan, gently poke the top all over with a fork. Then with a pastry brush, brush the rum glaze all over the top, letting it soak in.
- Allow the cake to cool to room temperature.
- For the Frosting: In a bowl, whisk together the soft cream cheese, sweetened coconut cream, dark rum, and vanilla. Whisk it until smooth.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and sift until smooth. If it is too thick, add in the milk.
- Spread the icing all over the top of the cake. Sprinkle the top with the toasted coconut.
For the coconut cream - look for this in the drink mix section of the store. Be sure to stir this thoroughly before using.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 36gProtein: 5g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday.