Growing up, every year my grandmother made a coconut cake in the spring time. Of course, she would make it in the shape of a rabbit, with jelly bean eyes and nose and pink ears she had cut from construction paper. I’m not into rabbits as cake, but I do love coconut cake. Today I’m sharing this classic recipe for Coconut Sheet Cake in her honor.
This cake takes very basic ingredients and because it is a sheet cake, it is simple to make and easy to decorate. Cake decorating is not my super power.
Once the cake is baked, you want to allow it to cool completely before frosting it.
Just look at that coconut covering the cake like a blanket of snow.
For the Cake:
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 Tb baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 3/4 c organic vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp coconut flavoring
- 1 1/4 c buttermilk
- 3/4 c egg whites, room temperature (this takes about 6 eggs)
For the Frosting:
- 1 block (8 oz.) Neufchatel cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick (1/2 c) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 c powdered (confectioner's) sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut flavoring
- 2 tsp coconut rum (optional)
- 2/3 c sweetened, flaked coconut
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir these together and set them aside for now.
- In your mixing bowl, beat the shortening and sugar together until nice and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla and coconut flavoring. Mix those in.
- Add half of the dry mixture to the creamed mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Add half of the buttermilk, again mixing until just combined. Repeat with the other haves of the dry ingredients then the remaining buttermilk.
- Make sure to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula to get everything mixed in together well.
- Whisk your egg whites until they are frothy, then fold them into the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into a 9x13 inch cake pan that has been greased & floured or sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack and allow it to cool completely.
- To frost the cake:
- In your mixing bowl, beat the butter and Neufchatel cream cheese together until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar a little at a time and mix until fully combined.
- Add in the vanilla extract, coconut flavoring and coconut rum. Beat the frosting together until nice and creamy.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle the coconut all over the top.
- Store this cake covered and in a cool place.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 703 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 466mg Carbohydrates: 120g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 95g Protein: 6g