This yummy soup combines the flavor of your favorite burger with the comfort of your favorite stew.
To begin, mince 3 cloves of garlic, and dice a medium sized onion.
In a skillet, toss in a pound of ground beef along with your onion & garlic. Cook these together until the meat is browned and the onions are a little tender.
Meanwhile grab a pound of red or yellow potatoes. Wash them up and then cut them into 1 inch pieces.
Wash, trim and peel 3 or 4 carrots, and dice these into 1/2 inch pieces.
Toss the potatoes and carrots into your crockpot along with the ground beef. I used a very lean beef, so there was no grease to drain off, but if you have grease in your pan, just scoop the meat out with a slotted spoon and place it in the crockpot. (I used a 4 quart crockpot here.)
Pour in 1 quart (4 cups) of beef broth.
Now you can’t have a cheeseburger without ketchup and mustard! Add in 1/4 c ketchup and 2 tablespoons of classic yellow mustard.
Give the soup a little kick by adding a teaspoon of chipotle chili pepper. (Note: I am a complete wimp when it comes to spicy food. This gives the soup just a little heat but is not spicy. If you have little ones who are super sensitive, reduce this to 1/2 teaspoon.)
Add in 1/2 teaspoon each of black pepper and salt. Stir this all together.
Cook this on high for 5 1/2 hours or on low for 10 hours (depending on how soon you are starting this and when your supper time is.)
An hour before your soup is done, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan.
Whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour. Let it bubble for just a minute and stir in 1 1/2 cup of milk. Stirring continually, cook this over medium heat until it just begins to boil. Turn the heat down as low as it goes.
Add in 2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese, stirring until it is melted in.
(Note: You have just made a great cheese sauce for steamed veggies!) Stir the cheesy mixture into the crockpot and let it cook together for the final hour.
Serve the soup with a little extra cheese sprinkled on top, and even add some diced pickles or crumbled bacon if you so desire. Enjoy!
I originally shared this yummy soup at HipHomeschoolMoms.com –>HERE
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb red or yellow potatoes, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 carrots, peeled, trimmed and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 32 oz. beef broth
- ¼ c ketchup
- 2 Tb classic yellow mustard
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 Tb flour
- 1½ c milk
- 2 c sharp grated cheddar cheese
- For topping
- Extra shredded cheese
- diced pickles (optional)
- crumbled bacon (optional)
- To begin, mince the garlic and dice your onion. In a skillet, brown the ground beef with the onions and garlic until it is cooked through. Drain off any excess grease, and place it in the crockpot with the carrots and potatoes, broth, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper and chipotle pepper. Stir all together and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 5½ hours.
- One hour before the soup is done, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and let it bubble for a minute. Pour in the milk and whisk. Continue to cook and stir until the sauce comes to a gentle boil and thickens. Turn the heat all the way down and add in the shredded cheese. Stir until the sauce is melted. Pour this cheese sauce into the crockpot and stir it in. Cook for the remaining hour.
- Serve topped with extra shredded cheese, some diced pickles, crumbled bacon, or whatever you like on your burger! Enjoy!