This yummy soup combines the flavor of your favorite burger with the comfort of your favorite stew.
I originally shared this yummy soup at HipHomeschoolMoms.com
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb red or yellow potatoes, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 carrots, peeled, trimmed and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 32 oz. beef broth
- 1/4 c ketchup
- 2 Tb classic yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 Tb flour
- 1 1/2c milk
- 2 c sharp grated cheddar cheese
- Extra shredded cheese
- diced pickles (optional)
- crumbled bacon (optional)
- To begin, mince the garlic and dice your onion.
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef with the onions and garlic until it is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Drain off any excess grease, and place it in the slow cooker with the carrots and potatoes, broth, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper and chipotle pepper.
- Stir all together and cover. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8.
- One hour before the soup is done, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and let it bubble for a minute.
- Pour in the milk and whisk.
- Continue to cook and stir until the sauce comes to a gentle boil and thickens.
- Turn the heat all the way down and add in the shredded cheese. Stir until the sauce is melted.
- Pour this cheese sauce into the slow cooker and stir it in.
- Cook for the remaining hour.
- Serve topped with extra shredded cheese, some diced pickles, crumbled bacon, or whatever you like on your burger!
This soup is not spicy, but if you are concerned about heat for the very little ones, reduce the chipotle to ½ tsp.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 563Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 1484mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 40g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.