I first made this recipe many years ago when we lived in our beloved farmhouse in the countryside of North Carolina. We had three dogs at the time and I had just begun doing much more baking at home.
“What!? Did you say Dog treats!?!?!?!?!”
My doggies got a taste of them, and were hooked. Griff kept sitting at the kitchen door staring at me with those big brown eyes!
When I baked them for the first time, my middle child Josh said they smelled really good and asked if people could eat them. I said yes, but I didn’t know if he would like them. Well…he tried one and decided that the dogs shouldn’t have them…he wanted them! So, I told him I would make him some “people ones” soon.
To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Combine all of the ingredients in your mixer bowl with a dough hook.
Mix it for a couple minutes until smooth.
Roll the dough out on a floured surface, to 1/4 inch thick.
Cut the biscuits with cute little cookie cutters if you like.
Or simply cut it into rectangles or diamonds with a pizza cutter.
Place the dog biscuits on cookie sheets and poke them in the center with a fork. Bake for 8 minutes, then keeping the oven door closed, let the sheets sit in the oven for 1-2 hours or until biscuits are hard.
And may your puppies enjoy!
- 6 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 c applesauce
- 3/4 c molasses
- 1/2 c honey
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all of the ingredients in your mixer with a dough hook.
- Turn it out onto a floured surface and roll it out to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut it with cookie cutter or simply with a pizza cutter.
- Place them on cookie sheets and poke each in the center with a fork.
- Bake for 8 minutes and turn oven off, keeping oven door closed. Let the treats sit in the oven until hard, about 1-2 hours.
- Store in an airtight container.
- May your puppies enjoy!