Don’t you just love pies? I sure do, and today I have shared a simply delicious Dutch Sugar Cream Pie.
In some parts of the country, this is called a “Hoosier Pie.” Whatever you call it, it is divine.
To begin, you will need a 9 inch pie crust. I have to say, I experimented with a different pie crust recipe today, and I should have known better. I already have a perfect pie crust recipe that works every time. Why mess with perfection? This crust was fine, but it didn’t like to stay together after it was chilled.
That said, after you have your crust in the pie plate and ready to go, refrigerate it for an hour in the plate.
When you are ready to make the pie, simply whisk the ingredients for the filling together and pour them into the crust.
Top with cold butter bits.
And finally dust with freshly grated nutmeg.
The pie will start off at a hot 425 degrees for the first 10 minutes, then lowers to 350 for another 55 minutes or so. And when it is done? Look and this gorgeous pie!
Serve the pie at room temperature or chilled.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Dutch Sugar Cream Pie (Hoosier Pie)
- 1 - 9 inch pie crust, unbaked and refrigerated for at least an hour
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tb cold, unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- To begin, prepare and refrigerate your pie crust for at least an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat while the oven gets ready.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the heavy whipping cream, sugar, flour and vanilla. Whisk until blended together. Pour the mixture into your pie crust.
- Dot with the butter and then sprinkle the nutmeg over the top.
- Bake it on the baking sheet for 10 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Reduce the heat to 350 and continue to bake for another 55 minutes, until the crust is golden and thefilling is bubbly. Monitor the pie crust. If it begins to get brown too quickly, cover the edges with foil or a pie crust shield.
- I covered mine at the 10 minute mark when I reduced the heat.
- Cool on a rack.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 107mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.