Today I decided to bring you in the kitchen with me as I made some homemade Potato Soup.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
This particular soup uses Conecuh sausage which is made right here in Alabama. If you do not have access to that variety, you can simply use your favorite smoked sausage. (Or order some from their website!)
Below is a printable version of the recipe, just as you saw it in the video.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Potato and Sausage Soup
- 1 c diced onion
- 1 Tb butter
- 1 lb Conecuh hickory sausage, or other smoked sausage, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 lb Yukon gold potatoes, cubed (washed and unpeeled, unless you really hate potato skins)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 c beef broth
- 1 c heavy cream
- 3 c fresh spinach leaves
- 3 Tb tapioca starch, or corn starch
- 1/3 c cold water
- Combine the butter, onion and sausage in a Dutch oven and cook it over medium heat until the onion is tender and the sausage is slightly golden.
- Drain off any excess grease if necessary.
- Add in the potatoes, beef broth, cream, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are just fork tender.
- Add in the spinach and cook for a couple more minutes.
- In a small glass, whisk together the tapioca starch and the cold water until it is smooth. Add this slurry to the soup. Cook for a couple minutes while the soup thickens.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.
To see the original recipe using Italian sausage, visit here: Creamy Italian Style Potato Soup