A few years ago, I had the opportunity to purchase gobs of fresh tomatoes straight from the farm for an insanely good price. I came home with all of those tomatoes and canned jar after jar of goodies from them. One of the things I made from those tomatoes was homemade salsa.
There was something wrong though. You see, the jars would vanish, one after another from the pantry. Needless to say it was very popular stuff.
After you make this salsa, you may need to invest in a safe. If not, yours may up and vanish too!
- 10 cups tomatoes (about 6 lbs) - chopped, seeded, peeled and cored
- 5 cups diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 c minced jalapeno pepper (seeded)
- 5 cups diced red onion
- 1 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tb minced cilantro
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded and minced (optional)
- To begin, combine all of the ingredients in a large pot. Stir it all together.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Let this cook for 10 minutes.
- Ladle the hot salsa into hot, sterile jars. Leave 1/4 inch of head space between the top of the salsa and the top of the jar.
- Place the lid and ring onto the jar. Repeat with the remaining salsa.
- Process the jars in a hot water bath - boiling for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the jars from the water and allow them to cool in a draft-free location. After 24 hours, remove the rings.
- Remember - never stack jars that are filled with preserves!
- Enjoy this salsa with chips, nachos or any way you wish.
When I make this salsa, I will make some in pint jars, and some in the very small 4 ounce jars to give away as gifts.
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten