I don’t know about you, but there is little more delicious than an Italian Meatball Sub. The kind that make you grab a napkin before you even take the first bite. Yeah, that’s a good sandwich!
You’ll start off by mixing up some meatballs. This is really the hardest part of making these sandwiches. They take a few minutes, but are so worth it.
The meatballs get partially baked in the oven before going into the sauce. The sauce that will transform these simple meatballs into a swoon-worthy sandwich.
Layer the meatballs onto a nice roll that you’ve lined with some slices of mozzarella or provolone cheese, and you have a feast! These are great sandwiches to serve at a football party. You could even serve them on little buns and make them sliders.
Enjoy…and don’t forget the napkins!
- For the Meatballs
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c milk
- ½ c panko bread crumbs
- ¼ c shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp fine salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ lb bulk Italian sausage
- For the Sandwiches
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 an (6 oz.) tomato paste
- ½ c beef broth
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil
- ½ tsp dry marjoram
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- For Serving
- Italian Rolls
- slices of provolone or mozzarella cheese
- To begin, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add in the bread crumbs, milk, Parmesan, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix those together.
- Add in the beef and Italian sausage, breaking them up with your hands.
- With your hand, mi these all together and then form meatballs that are about the size of a ping pong ball. Place the meatballs on a large baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper.
- Bake these for 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and set aside for now.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in your electric skillet. Add in the onion, pepper and garlic. Saute these until tender. Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk them together. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to very low.
- Gently nestle your meatballs down into the sauce. Let them simmer on very low heat for 1-2 hours.
- To serve the sandwiches, layer some sliced cheese inside the roll and spoon the hot, saucy meatballs inside.
Note 2: Serve the meatballs on little buns and turn these into sliders!