Holey socks, isn’t that a mouthful of a name?
Here is what I love about trifles:
- They are super-simple, yet look so fancy.
- They are a life-saver if your cake sticks in the pan and falls apart!
You don’t have to waste that cake – just throw one of these together.
Traditionally, a trifle is layers of cake, pudding and fruit. But you can get very creative and make them just about any way you can imagine.
This particular trifle is a combination of parts that you can use to make any number of dessert variations.
How to Make a Mocha Macadamia Trifle with Mascarpone Cream
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (or spray with non-stick cooking spray) a 9×13 inch cake pan. Set it aside.
In a cup or bowl, combine 1/4 cup instant coffee and a cup of hot water. Give it a stir and set it aside for the coffee to dissolve.
In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, 2 cups of sugar, 3 tablespoons of baking cocoa, a teaspoon of baking soda and a quarter teaspoon of salt. Stir it all together and set it aside for now.
Measure out a half cup of buttermilk and set it next to your stove top.
In a saucepan, melt a cup (2 sticks) of butter over medium low heat.
As soon as it is melted turn off the heat. Whisk in the coffee mixture and the buttermilk.
In a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs.
Now ladle a little of the buttery coffee mixture into the eggs while whisking them. This will temper your eggs so you don’t get scrambled eggs in your cake!
Pour the warmed eggs into the saucepan with the rest of the liquid, and then stir in 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
Pour liquid mixture into the large mixing bowl with your dry ingredients and stir it together until just combined.
Pour it into your cake pan and bake for 35 minutes or until it tests done with a toothpick.
When the cake is totally cooled, you’ll make the cream.
This wonderful creamy mixture can be used for more that just the trifle. You will only make a smooth creamy mixture today – but with just a couple more minutes of whipping – you will have created a luxurious and flavorful
In a chilled mixing bowl, combine a pint (2 cups) of heavy whipping cream and 1/3 cup of powdered sugar.
Add in 8 ounces of Tiramisu flavored Mascarpone Cheese. (If you can only find plain, that is okay – I have an option for that)
Add in two tablespoons of Kahlua or other coffee liqueur. (If using plain mascarpone, increase this to 1/4 cup)
And finally add in 2 teaspoons baking cocoa.
Beat these all together until smooth. Don’t forget to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula. Do not beat the cream to death – you aren’t looking for soft or stiff peaks, just a smooth consistency.
Now to put it all together!
If you have a trifle bowl (kind of like a square-ish clear punch bowl) use that, or any good-size clear bowl if you have it.
Take that lovely cake and cut the whole thing into a bunch of pieces, all about 1 1/2 inch or so.
Layer 1/3 of the cake in the bottom.
Next layer 1/3 of the cream over that.
And then sprinkle it with 1/3 cup of roasted, chopped Macadamia nuts (you’ll need 1 cup total). Continue repeating the layers, until you have three layers of each, ending with the last of the nuts.
We’re almost there!
For the final touch, grab a chunk of good quality chocolate and shave some off, making about 2 tablespoons of shavings.
Sprinkle it all over the top. Oh my!
Now all that is left is to spoon some into your dish and Mmmmmm…
You May Also Like:
- Frozen Mocha Dessert
- Mocha Cake with Mocha Rum Icing
- Mocha Latte Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Mocha Waffles
- 1/4 c instant coffee granules
- 1 c very hot water
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 2 c sugar
- 3 Tb baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese (preferably tiramisu flavored)
- 1/3 c powdered sugar
- 2 Tb Kahlua or other coffee liqueur (1/4 c if you use plain cheese)
- 2 tsp baking cocoa
- - Chocolate for shaving
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9×13 inch cake pan. Set it aside.
- In a cup or bowl, combine the instant coffee and hot water. Give it a stir and set it aside for the coffee to dissolve.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Stir it all together and set it aside for now.
- In a saucepan, melt your butter over medium low heat. As soon as it is melted turn off the heat.
- Whisk in the coffee mixture and the buttermilk.
- In a small bowl, whisk your eggs.
- Now ladle a little of the buttery coffee mixture into the eggs while whisking them. This will temper your eggs so you don’t get scrambled eggs in your cake!
- Pour the warmed eggs into the saucepan with the rest of the liquid.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour liquid mixture into the large mixing bowl with your dry ingredients and stir it together until just combined.
- Pour it into your cake pan and bake for 35 minutes or until it tests done with a toothpick. Cool completely.
- Note: If you are making this a regular cake, dress it up any way you wish. You can also bake this as two 8 inch round layers, for about 25 minutes, or until they test done.
For the Cream
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with wire mixer until they are smooth. Don’t forget to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula. Do not beat the cream to death – you aren’t looking for soft or stiff peaks, just a smooth consistency.
- Note! If you do whip this to stiff peaks – you will have created a luxurious and flavorful mocha frosting!
To assemble the Trifle:
- Remove the cooled cake to a cutting board, and cut the cake into small cubes, about 1 1/2 inches. Completely cover the bottom of a trifle dish or any other large clear serving dish (if you have one). You should use about 1/3 of the cake. Spread 1/3 of the cream mixture over the top of the cake layer. Sprinkle 1/3 of the nuts over the cream. Repeat the process creating three layers of each.
- Finish off by sprinkling the shaved chocolate over the top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 280mg Carbohydrates: 59g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 41g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g