Everything you love about pizza in an appetizer.
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, combine 8 ounces of Neufchatel cream cheese that is room temperature, with 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 1/4 cup sour cream. Beat those together until fluffy.
Grab about 4 ounces of pepperoni, and set a few slices aside. Give the rest a rough chop. Toss the chopped pepperoni, along with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese in the bowl. Stir it into the cream cheese mixture. (You can also add in some sliced olives, or diced onion or bell pepper.)
Spread the creamy mixture in a shallow baking dish. A tart or pie plate works perfectly.
In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon each of oregano and basil, a pinch of salt and pepper, 1/4 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder, and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix those together.
Spread the sauce over the top of the creamy mixture.
Top with an additional 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan. Place the reserved slices of pepperoni on top. Pop this in the oven for 20 minutes or until nice and bubbly.
Serve this with some chips or slices of nice bread. I used some hearty Italian herbed bread (a recipe I am sharing tomorrow!)
Allow the dip to set for about 5 minutes before serving.
- 8 oz Neufchatel cream cheese (organic), room temperature
- 1/4 c sour cream (organic)
- 1/4 c mayonnaise (Primal Kitchen brand preferred for paleo)
- 1 1/3 c shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 c + 2 Tb parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 oz pepperoni slices (look for natural, uncured)
For the sauce
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp each of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- diced green bell pepper
- diced onion
- sliced black olives
- sliced or cubed bread
- dipping veggies
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise until fluffy.
- Set aside a few slices of pepperoni, and give the rest a rough chop.
- Stir the pepperoni in to the cheese mixture, along with 1 c of the mozzarella cheese and 1/4 c of the parmesan cheese. (Also stir in the diced veggies, optional)
- Spread the cheesy mixture into a shallow baking dish (a tart or pie plate works perfectly.)
- In a small dish, mix together the sauce ingredients. Spread this over the cheesy mixture.
- Top with the remaining cheeses and arrange the reserved slices of pepperoni on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Allow it to rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with chips, crackers, bread or veggies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 586mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.