Wonderfully creamy potato and leek soup with a delicate texture, topped with pan-seared smoked sausage.
There are times when you want a thick, chunky soup. Other times you crave something smooth that you can just sip…and sigh. This incredibly creamy soup is sure to be a quick favorite and a great change of pace.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
To Make this Creamy Potato and Leek Soup you will need:
- russet potatoes
- ghee, butter or coconut oil
- chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- smoked sausage (beef preferred)
- Dutch oven
- immersion blender
- slotted spoon
- dish lined with paper towels
- colander and bowl of cold water
- knife and cutting board
To begin, you will need to dice and wash your leeks.
How to Wash Leeks
When you prepare most vegetables, you wash them and then you dice, chop or otherwise cut them into your desired shapes and sizes. Leeks are very much the opposite.
You see, leeks like to grow in sandy soil, and as they come up out of the soil, the leaves capture sand in between the folds. Those grains of dirty sand work their way down inside the leek. So the only way to get the dirt out, is to open up the leek.
Start by removing the root end from the leek, and the dice the white and pale green part of the leek into your desired size.
Take those pieces of leek and place them in a colander.
Place the colander in a large bowl of cold water.
Use your hands to separate all of the layers and “swirl” the leeks around in the water. This allows the dirt and debris to fall through the colander and down into the bowl.
Lift the colander from the bowl and let the leeks drain. Use as needed for your recipe.
How to make this Potato & Leek Soup:
Place the ghee and leeks in a Dutch oven and cook over low heat until the leeks are soft, but not browned. About 5-10 minutes.
Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the smoked sausage.
Bring it all to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer it until the potatoes are soft – about 20-25 minutes.
While the soup cooks, sauté your sliced smoked sausage in a skillet until it is nicely browned on both sides. I now use a beef smoked sausage to be biblically clean. Transfer the sausage to a dish that is lined with paper towels. Set it aside for a moment.
When the soup is finished cooking, use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it is smooth. If you do not own an immersion blender, you can puree the soup in batches, in a traditional blender.
Serve your soup, topped with some of the smoked sausage.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Creamy Potato and Leek Soup with Smoked Sausage
- 2 Tb ghee or butter, can use coconut oil for dairy-free
- 2 leeks, diced and cleaned
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 c chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- Place the ghee and leeks in a Dutch oven and cook over low heat until the leeks are soft, but not browned. About 5-10 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the smoked sausage.
- Bring it all to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer it until the potatoes are soft, about 20-25 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, saute the sliced sausage in a skillet until it is browned and fully cooked. Set it aside.
- Using immersion blender, puree the soup until it is smooth.
- Serve the soup with the cooked, smoked sausage.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.