This soup is as easy to make as it is flavorful and filling! Creamy potato soup with smoked sausage and cheese. You can’t get much better than that.
Have you ever noticed, that when it comes to comfort foods, that they usually just aren’t that pretty to look at?
That is because comfort foods were never meant to make you go “ooo” and “ahhh.” Comfort foods are meant to make you sigh and smile.
That is the case with this simple, yet comforting potato soup. It won’t win a beauty contest, but it will win your heart.
- 1 Tb butter
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 c chicken or beef broth
- 1 c half & half
- 2 1/2 lb russet potatoes (about 8 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I use an aged Irish cheddar), divided use
- To begin, press the "saute" button on your Instant Pot.
- Add in the butter and sausage. Cook it for a few minutes, until the sausage is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop the sausage into a dish and set it aside for now.
- Add in the diced onion and cook until it is tender. Press the cancel button.
- Add in the broth, half & half, potatoes, parsley, pepper and salt. Stir it all together.
- Close and seal the Instant Pot. Press the "soup" button and let it run the 30 minute cycle.
- When it is done cooking, use an immersion blender and give the soup just a few pulses. Just enough to thicken the broth. This allows the starch in the potatoes to be the thickening agent, without needing to add other things.
- Press the "saute" button again, and add in 1 1/2 c of the cheese and the browned sausage.
- Stir until the cheese is melted in and the sausage is hot.
- Serve topped with the extra cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 952Total Fat: 62gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 204mgSodium: 1569mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 51g