Delicious Pumpkin Coffee Cake with a ribbon of pumpkin filling. It’s the perfect autumn treat.
The air is crisp, and our grass is blanketed under a layer of snow..to remain unseen until April or May. (Okay, maybe I’m just dreaming.) But when the weather gets like that, I really, really get into the mood to bake! Today, I baked both this moist and wonderful Pumpkin Coffee Cake and I also baked Biscotti….Pumpkin Biscotti. It was just a pumpkin kind of day!
Enjoy with a cup of coffee…it is coffee cake after all!
For the filling:
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/16 tsp ginger
- 1/16 tsp cloves
For the cake:
- 2 c flour
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick (1/2 c) room temperature butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c sour cream
For the topping:
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/3 c cold butter that is cut up,
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c pecans
- To begin, preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Butter or grease a 9x13 inch cake pan, and set it aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together 1 egg, pumpkin puree, 1/2 c sugar, a teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and about 1/16 teaspoon each of ginger and cloves.. Whisk those until smooth, and set it aside.
- In another bowl, stir together 2 c flour, 3/4 c sugar, and a teaspoon each of baking soda and baking powder. Set that aside as well.
- In your mixing bowl, beat together 3 eggs, 1 stick (1/2 c) room temperature butter and a teaspoon of vanilla. Beat them until smooth.
- Mix half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Once it is combined, mix in a cup of sour cream.
- Finish off with mixing in the remaining flour mixture. Combine these until jut mixed, making sure to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Spread half of the cake batter in the bottom of your cake pan. Then carefully spread the pumpkin mixture over the top of it.
- Spoon the remaining cake batter over the top of the pumpkin, and gently spread it out as best you can. You may have a little pumpkin peeking through, that that is quite okay.
- Now for the final touch. In a food processor, combine 1 c brown sugar, 1/3 c cold butter that is cut up, a teaspoon & a half of cinnamon, and half a cup of pecans. Pulse the ingredients together a few times until crumbly and combined.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the cake tests as done in the center with a toothpick.
- Allow it to cool to near room temperature. Enjoy with a cup of coffee...it is coffee cake after all!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 66mg Sodium: 172mg Carbohydrates: 42g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 28g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g