This Pumpkin Roll Cake with Cream Cheese Filling, is our family’s favorite Fall dessert, and will soon be your family’s too!
I have been making this recipe for many, many years. I originally posted it forever ago, back when I blogged as MrsMamaHen (if you can remember back that far to the “blogspot” days!)
Here’s what I love about this cake. It LOOKS fancy and hard to make, but it really isn’t.
This is great for your family or for company. Take it to a holiday potluck this year and impress everyone into thinking you’re a pro baker. No one will be the wiser.
For the Cake
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 c sugar
- 2/3 c solid-packed canned pumpkin
- 1/4 c very finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 c powdered sugar, for dusting & rolling
For the Filling
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 Tb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 c powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 10x15x1 inch bar pan (jelly roll pan.) Line it with parchment paper and grease the parchment paper as well. Set it aside for now.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set it aside.
- In your mixing bowl, beat the eggs, pumpkin and sugar until smooth.
- Add in the dry mixture and stir to combine. Be sure to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula to get everything well combined.
- Spread the batter evenly in the pan. Using an offset spatula is very handy for this.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes or until the cake springs back when it is touched in the center.
- When the cake is almost done baking, lay a tea towel (linen, non-fuzzy) on your counter or table. Generously dust it with powdered sugar.
- When the cake is done baking, carefully turn it out onto the dusted towel. Remove the parchment paper and discard it.
- Carefully, starting at one end of the cake, roll the cake and towel together until you have completely rolled it up. Place the roll on a cooling rack and let it cook completely.
- When the cake is cooled, prepare the filling.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until they are fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and mix to combine.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Carefully unroll the cake. Don't force it completely flat if it is stubborn. You just need it all the way open.
- Spread the cream cheese filling all over the cake, edge to edge.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped pecans all over the filling.
- Gently roll the cake back up, this time leaving the towel behind.
- Transfer the cake roll to a platter, placing it seam side down.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours to set up.
- To serve, cut it into slices with a sharp knife.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 298 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 81mg Sodium 201mg Carbohydrates 38g Fiber 1g Sugar 30g Protein 4g
By the way, Paleo folks — there’s a PALEO Pumpkin Cake recipe coming later this week!