This Pumpkin Roll Cake with Cream Cheese Filling, is our family’s favorite Fall dessert, and will soon be your family’s too!
I have been making this recipe for many, many years. I originally posted it forever ago, back when I blogged as MrsMamaHen (if you can remember back that far to the “blogspot” days!)
Here’s what I love about this cake. It LOOKS fancy and hard to make, but it really isn’t.
This is great for your family or for company. Take it to a holiday potluck this year and impress everyone into thinking you’re a pro baker. No one will be the wiser.
For the Cake
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 c sugar
- 2/3 c solid-packed canned pumpkin
- 1/4 c very finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 c powdered sugar, for dusting & rolling
For the Filling
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 Tb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 c powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 10x15x1 inch bar pan (jelly roll pan.) Line it with parchment paper and grease the parchment paper as well. Set it aside for now.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set it aside.
- In your mixing bowl, beat the eggs, pumpkin and sugar until smooth.
- Add in the dry mixture and stir to combine. Be sure to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula to get everything well combined.
- Spread the batter evenly in the pan. Using an offset spatula is very handy for this.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes or until the cake springs back when it is touched in the center.
- When the cake is almost done baking, lay a tea towel (linen, non-fuzzy) on your counter or table. Generously dust it with powdered sugar.
- When the cake is done baking, carefully turn it out onto the dusted towel. Remove the parchment paper and discard it.
- Carefully, starting at one end of the cake, roll the cake and towel together until you have completely rolled it up. Place the roll on a cooling rack and let it cook completely.
- When the cake is cooled, prepare the filling.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until they are fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and mix to combine.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Carefully unroll the cake. Don't force it completely flat if it is stubborn. You just need it all the way open.
- Spread the cream cheese filling all over the cake, edge to edge.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped pecans all over the filling.
- Gently roll the cake back up, this time leaving the towel behind.
- Transfer the cake roll to a platter, placing it seam side down.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours to set up.
- To serve, cut it into slices with a sharp knife.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 201mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 4g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.
By the way, Paleo folks — there’s a PALEO Pumpkin Cake recipe coming later this week!