Pumpkin Scones with Maple Glaze are everything you love about autumn flavors.
When it comes to fall flavors, I really have a hard time picking my favorite. Apple? Mocha? Pumpkin? How can one be expected to choose?!
Today I decided to share my adorable little pumpkin scones. They are lightly sweet, and brushed with a simple maple glaze. Perfect for breakfast, dessert or an afternoon snack!
To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Combine 3 cups all-purpose flour. 1 teaspoon each baking powder and cinnamon, a half teaspoon each of baking soda, nutmeg and cloves, and a quarter teaspoon of salt.
Stir those together.
Cut a half cup (1 stick) of cold butter into pieces and drop it into your flour mixture.
With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until there are no pieces of butter that are larger than a pea.
Add in a third cup plus a tablespoon of milk, a cup of solid packed pumpkin and a third cup of brown sugar. Stir these together until just combined. Turn it out onto a clean surface and knead until it comes together.
pat the dough into a “square-ish” shape that is about 3/4 inch thick.
Cut the dough into 9 squares.
Cut each square in half diagonally.
Place the scones on a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper or a silpat. Bake for 16 minutes.
While they are baking, in a small sauce pan, combine 1/4 cup each of butter, brown sugar and half & half.
Add in 2 tablespoons of real maple syrup.
Bring this to a boil, and let it bubble for one minute, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat.
As soon as the scones come out of the oven, place them on a rack over another baking sheet or some parchment paper to catch drips. Brush the glaze over the top of each hot scone.
Enjoy these warm or room temperature.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ c brown sugar
- ⅓ c plus 1 Tb milk
- 1 cup solid-packed pumpkin
- ¼ c butter
- ¼ c brown sugar
- ¼ c half & half
- 2 Tb real maple syrup
- To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Cut the cold butter into pieces and drop it into the flour mixture. Cut the butter in with a pastry blender until there are no pieces larger than a pea. Mix in the brown sugar, pumpkin and milk. Mix in milk and pumpkin, until just combined. Stir until just combined. Turn it out onto a clean surface and knead until just smooth. Pat the dough into a square that is ¾ inch thick. Cut the dough into 9 squares and then cut each square in half diagonally. Place the scones on a baking sheet or stone lined with parchment paper or a silpat. Bake for 16 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring it to a gentle boil and let it bubble for one minute, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat.
- When the scones are done baking, transfer them to a cooling rack that is over another baking sheet or a sheet of parchment paper to catch drips. Brush the glaze over the hot scones.
- Serve warm or room temperature.