A lovely quiche with sweet potato crust, bacon and spinach.
This recipe is also low-carb and paleo-friendly as well as delicious!
Just look at how this gorgeous quiche puffed up in the oven! You can serve this quiche as a breakfast, brunch or dinner. There’s really no wrong time of day to enjoy it. And enjoy it you will!
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin, crosswise making rounds
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 c diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c spinach leaves
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- To begin, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices in the bottom of a deep dish pie plate. I do this in a circular pattern, overlapping them slightly. Come up the sides of the pie plate a little with the slices. These will form your crust for the quiche.
- Drizzle or spritz the sweet potatoes with the olive oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Set this aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, saute the bacon in a skillet over medium low heat until golden and crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels, leaving about 2 tablespoons of the drippings in the skillet.
- Saute the onion in the bacon drippings until they are translucent.
- Add the minced garlic, and continue to cook until the onions and garlic are just tender.
- Add in the spinach and cook until just wilted. About 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Arrange the spinach mixture over the top of the sweet potato crust.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, basil, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the top of the contents of the pie plate.
- Sprinkle the bacon all over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the eggs are set. The quiche will puff up as it bakes.
- Allow the quiche to rest 5-10 minutes before serving. As it rests, it will sink back down in the center.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 198mg Sodium: 524mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 13g