Red bell peppers stuffed with caramelized onions, seasoned beef and smothered in melted Swiss cheese.
To make Swiss Onion Stuffed Peppers you will need:
- red onion
- red bell peppers
- ground beef
- freshly ground black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce (or coconut aminos)
- Tabasco sauce
- Swiss cheese
- baking pan
Stuffed peppers are always a favorite, and there are so many different ways you can fill them, the options are almost endless.
Red bell peppers are slightly sweeter than the green variety. You can make this with green peppers as well as yellow or orange ones too if you like.
This recipe is considered “primal” – a variation of paleo eating, since it does contain dairy.
If you are following strict paleo guidelines, you can omit the cheese on top, or you can just add the cheese to some of them for your family members who do eat dairy.
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 1 red onion
- 1 Tb butter
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 T Worcestershire sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 5-6 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the peppers in half vertically, and remove the stem, seeds and the white membrane.
- Place the peppers in a 9x13 inch baking pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until the desired tenderness.
- While the peppers are baking, slice the onion and saute it with the butter in a skillet over medium heat until golden and caramelized. Scoop the onions out into a dish and set aside for now.
- Cook the ground beef in the same skillet until browned, breaking it up a bit as it cooks.
- When the beef is browned, add in the salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce. Stir well.
- Add in the onions and stir to combine.
- When the peppers are done baking, use a paper towel to blot out any liquid that may have pooled inside them. Then spoon the meat mixture into the peppers.
- Top each pepper with a slice of the Swiss cheese.
- Pop the baking pan back into the oven for just a couple more minutes to let the cheese get all melty and bubbly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 607Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 161mgSodium: 528mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 47g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.