If you are looking for something to put on your Thanksgiving table that is both delicious and a little lighter, Bohnensalat, or German green bean salad is the perfect choice.
This salad is made with fresh green beans and the simple dressing highlights their wonderful flavor.
For more Thanksgiving side dish inspiration, here is a collection of recipes to please everyone in the family!
Fruity Side Dishes
- Cranberry Apple Relish by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cranberry Fluff Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Cheesy Pineapple Bake by This is How I Cook
- Pecan Cranberry Jello Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Other Side Dishes
- Chestnut Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- One Pot Macaroni and Cheese by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Potato Dinner Rolls by The Redhead Baker
- Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing by Life Tastes Good
Potato Side Dishes
- Gingered Sweet Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Marmalade Glazed Sweet Potatoes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes by Cookin’ Mimi
- Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Red Potatoes by Food Done Light
- Southern Praline Sweet Potato Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Southwestern Potato Bake by The Freshman Cook
- Stacked Sweet Potatoes by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter by Cooking Chat
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Vegetable Side Dishes
- Acorn Squash and Brussel Sprout Side Dish by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts by The Crumby Cupcake
- Braised Red Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Bake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candied Acorn Squash by Cricket’s Confections
- Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Casserole by Food Lust People Love
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole by Family Around The Table
- Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Miso Glazed Corn by Ninja Baker
- Pan Roasted Carrots with Apple Molasses by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Cranberries by The Chef Next Door
- Roasted Onions with Parsley Pesto by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Parsnips with Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary by Wholistic Woman
- Roasted Pumpkin with Rosemary and Thyme by Feeding Big
- Spicy Balsamic Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- 3 Tb red wine vinegar
- 3 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c chicken broth
- 2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dry dill
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1 lb fresh green beans, washed and trimmed (you can cut these in 1 inch pieces if you like, or leave them whole)
- To begin, combine all but the green beans (and only 1 teaspoon of the salt) in a small jar with a lid. Cover and close the lid tightly, and shake well to combine. Set this aside for now.
- In a large pot, bring 2-3 quarts of water with the remaining teaspoon of sea salt to a boil.
- Toss in the green beans and bring it back to a boil, then turn the heat to medium. Let these cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, or until the beans are just tender, but not soft.
- While they cook, prepare a large bowl by filling it half way with ice water.
- Pour the beans out into a colander, and rain the boiling water from the beans. Immediately transfer the beans into the ice water to stop the cooking process and lock in their beautiful color.
- Spread a couple layers of paper towels out on a baking sheet, or on your counter. Using a pair of tongs, or your God-given tongs (your hands) remove the cooled beans from the ice water and spread them out onto the paper towels to remove the excess water.
- Once the beans have drained and are somewhat dried off, place them in a serving bowl.
- Give the jar of dressing a good shake, and then pour the dressing over the beans.
- Use a pair of tongs to turn the beans and coat them with the dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 86 Total Fat 7g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 858mg Carbohydrates 6g Fiber 2g Sugar 3g Protein 2g