If you are looking for something to put on your Thanksgiving table that is both delicious and a little lighter, Bohnensalat, or German green bean salad is the perfect choice.
This salad is made with fresh green beans and the simple dressing highlights their wonderful flavor.
Did you make and enjoy this recipe or any other recipe on Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts! I would also love for you to share it on Instagram and tag @CosmopolitanCornbread
- 3 Tb red wine vinegar
- 3 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c chicken broth
- 2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dry dill
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1 lb fresh green beans, washed and trimmed (you can cut these in 1 inch pieces if you like, or leave them whole)
- To begin, combine all but the green beans (and only 1 teaspoon of the salt) in a small jar with a lid. Cover and close the lid tightly, and shake well to combine. Set this aside for now.
- In a large pot, bring 2-3 quarts of water with the remaining teaspoon of sea salt to a boil.
- Toss in the green beans and bring it back to a boil, then turn the heat to medium. Let these cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, or until the beans are just tender, but not soft.
- While they cook, prepare a large bowl by filling it half way with ice water.
- Pour the beans out into a colander, and rain the boiling water from the beans. Immediately transfer the beans into the ice water to stop the cooking process and lock in their beautiful color.
- Spread a couple layers of paper towels out on a baking sheet, or on your counter. Using a pair of tongs, or your God-given tongs (your hands) remove the cooled beans from the ice water and spread them out onto the paper towels to remove the excess water.
- Once the beans have drained and are somewhat dried off, place them in a serving bowl.
- Give the jar of dressing a good shake, and then pour the dressing over the beans.
- Use a pair of tongs to turn the beans and coat them with the dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 86 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 858mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 2g