If you are looking for something to put on your Thanksgiving table that is both delicious and a little lighter, Bohnensalat, or German green bean salad is the perfect choice.
This salad is made with fresh green beans and the simple dressing highlights their wonderful flavor.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 3 Tb red wine vinegar
- 3 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c chicken broth
- 2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dry dill
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1 lb fresh green beans, washed and trimmed (you can cut these in 1 inch pieces if you like, or leave them whole)
- To begin, combine all but the green beans (and only 1 teaspoon of the salt) in a small jar with a lid. Cover and close the lid tightly, and shake well to combine. Set this aside for now.
- In a large pot, bring 2-3 quarts of water with the remaining teaspoon of sea salt to a boil.
- Toss in the green beans and bring it back to a boil, then turn the heat to medium. Let these cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, or until the beans are just tender, but not soft.
- While they cook, prepare a large bowl by filling it half way with ice water.
- Pour the beans out into a colander, and rain the boiling water from the beans. Immediately transfer the beans into the ice water to stop the cooking process and lock in their beautiful color.
- Spread a couple layers of paper towels out on a baking sheet, or on your counter. Using a pair of tongs, or your God-given tongs (your hands) remove the cooled beans from the ice water and spread them out onto the paper towels to remove the excess water.
- Once the beans have drained and are somewhat dried off, place them in a serving bowl.
- Give the jar of dressing a good shake, and then pour the dressing over the beans.
- Use a pair of tongs to turn the beans and coat them with the dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 86Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 858mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.