Tequila Chicken Salad is a healthy and delicious way to get your greens.
With fresh orange, zesty lime and creamy avocado, you will want to make this recipe again and again.
Tequila Chicken Salad
- 3 limes
- 1/2 c tequila
- 1/2 c cold water
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins, chicken breast strips
- 3 oranges
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tb honey
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, torn or shredded
- 2 ripe avocados
- To begin, juice one of the limes into a small mixing bowl. Add in the tequila, water, grated garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Whisk these together.
- Place the chicken in a quart sized zip-lock bag. Pour the marinade into the bag. Carefully remove as much air as possible and close. Marinate this in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place a sieve over a mixing bowl. Peel the oranges and cut the flesh into 3/4 inch pieces, placing them into the sieve as you go. The excess juice from the oranges will drain down into the bowl.
- When no more juice drains, set the oranges aside.
- To the orange juice, add the extra virgin olive oil, honey, cayenne pepper, and the remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- With a microplaner, zest one of the remaining limes, giving you a teaspoon of fine lime zest. Add that to the mixture in the bowl. Juice the two limes, and add the juice as well.
- Whisk everything together and set it aside for now.
- Heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the chicken strips on a baking sheet, allowing the excess marinade to drip back into the bag.
- Bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cut the chicken cross-ways into 1/2 inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce and orange chunks.
- Give the dressing a quick whisking and pour over the salad. Toss to coat.
- Halve, pit and slice the avocados.
- To serve, place some of the salad mixture on your dinner plate. Top with the chicken and garnish with avocado slices.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.