Tequila Chicken Salad is a healthy and delicious way to get your greens.
With fresh orange, zesty lime and creamy avocado, you will want to make this recipe again and again.
- 3 limes
- ½ c tequila
- ½ c cold water
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins (chicken breast strips)
- 3 oranges
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tb honey
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, torn or shredded
- 2 ripe avocados
- To begin, juice one of the limes into a small mixing bowl. Add in the tequila, water, grated garlic, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Whisk these together.
- Place the chicken in a quart sized zip-lock bag. Pour the marinade into the bag. Carefully remove as much air as possible and close. Marinate this in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place a sieve over a mixing bowl. Peel the oranges and cut the flesh into ¾ inch pieces, placing them into the sieve as you go. The excess juice from the oranges will drain down into the bowl.
- When no more juice drains, set the oranges aside.
- To the orange juice, add the extra virgin olive oil, honey, cayenne pepper, and the remaining ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper.
- With a microplaner, zest one of the remaining limes, giving you a teaspoon of fine lime zest. Add that to the mixture in the bowl. Juice the two limes, and add the juice as well.
- Whisk everything together and set it aside for now.
- Heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the chicken strips on a baking sheet, allowing the excess marinade to drip back into the bag.
- Bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cut the chicken cross-ways into ½ inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce and orange chunks.
- Give the dressing a quick whisking and pour over the salad. Toss to coat.
- Halve, pit and slice the avocados.
- To serve, place some of the salad mixture on your dinner plate. Top with the chicken and garnish with avocado slices.
- Get Your Greens Smoothie by Hardly A Goddess
- Green Breakfast Omelet Bites by Momma’s Meals
- Green Eggs and Ham by Feeding Big
- Green Scrambled Eggs with Ham by Cricket’s Confections
- Kuku Sabzi – Persian Herb Frittata by Caroline’s Cooking
- Southwest Breakfast Spinach Wrap by The Freshman Cook
- Super Green Smoothie by Simple and Savory
Must Make Main Dishes
- Chicken Paillard Arugula Truffle Salad by Family Foodie
- Gambian Spinach with Peanut Sauce by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Grilled Lettuce and Steak Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Pan Roasted Cod on Spinach Basil Risotto with Lemon Butter Sauce by Positively Stacey
- Poached Cod with Pesto Wine Sauce by Life Tastes Good
- Skinny Reuben Wraps with Homemade 1000 Island Dressing by For the Love of Food
- Brussels Sprout and Kale Salad by Pies and Plots
- Green Goddess Bibb Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes by Shockingly Delicious
- Quinoa Tabbouleh by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sesame Wedge Salad with Key Lime Vinaigrette & Pickled Green Tomatoes by Gourmet Everyday
- Shades of Green Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Zucchini Carpaccio Salad by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Colcannon by Wholistic Woman
- Green Goddess Dip by From the Bookshelf
- Grilled Cabbage with Spicy Lime Dressing by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Irish Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Miso Roasted Broccoli by Life Currents
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Books n’ Cooks
- Soy Glazed Sugar Snap Peas by Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Tots by A Mind “Full” Mom