Fresh sweet potatoes filled with onion, pepper and seasoned ground beef, these twice-baked sweet potatoes will be your new favorite!
I think that too often people automatically think of sweet dishes when it comes to sweet potatoes. But once you get a taste of these savory sweet potatoes, you’ll re-think that idea in a hurry.
These sweet potatoes start with seasoned ground beef with pepper and onion and are topped off with a bit of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese.
If you leave the cheese off at the end, these will be a paleo-friendly meal.
South Western Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 c shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- To begin, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and poke them several times with a fork. Set them on a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes or until they are cooked. Once they are done, remove them from the oven, but do not turn it off yet.
- While they are baking, cook the ground beef, onion and pepper together in a skillet, breaking up the meat as it cooks. When it is cooked, stir in the salt, pepper, cumin and smoked paprika.
- Carefully cut a slit in each potato and scoop most of the insides into a bowl, leaving about a half inch layer of potato on the inside of the skin.
- Add the meat mixture to the bowl with the sweet potato and stir it together to combine.
- Spoon the mixture back into the potatoes and bake for 10 more minutes.
- After they have finished baking, stop them with the shredded cheese.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.