This is my family’s all-time favorite cake. They call it “The Good Chocolate Cake.” I call it the Best chocolate cake ever.
In our home, our children always pick what goody they want for their birthday. Sometimes it’s a birthday cake, sometimes it’s a birthday pumpkin pie. Yes, you read that right. But looking back over the years, this goody was picked more than any other – and it was always called the same thing. “The Good Chocolate Cake.” Of course, you don’t need to wait for a birthday to make this…I certainly don’t!
This kid in the photo here on his birthday…is now 6 feet tall. Excuse me, while I go cry for a minute.
Okay, I’m better now.
How to Make Really Good Chocolate Cake
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour a bundt cake pan and set it aside.
In a bowl, combine 3 cups of flour, 1/3 c baking cocoa, a teaspoon of salt, and 2 teaspoons of baking soda. Whisk them together and set aside.
In you mixing bowl, beat together 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup (2 sticks) of room temperature butter. Beat them until fluffy, and then beat in 3 room temperature eggs, 1 at a time until each is mixed in.
Now you’ll mix in your dry ingredients in portions as you mix in some additional liquids. First, mix in 1/3 of your flour mixture until just combined.
Then mix in 1 cup of buttermilk – I forgot the picture of this – and once it is mixed in, add in the next 1/3 of the flour mixture, again mixing until just combined.
Next pour in 1 cup of strong, warm (not hot) coffee and 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
And finish off with the last of the flour mixture. Be sure to scrap the bowl with a rubber spatula, making certain everything is mixed in.
Pour the cake batter into your cake pan and bake this for 45 minutes, or until the cake tests done in the center with a toothpick.
Cool the cake in your pan for 5 minutes, and then take a very thin butter knife and gently slide it down the sides of the pan all the way around the outside and center of the cake.
Invert the cake onto a cooling rack. If the cake doesn’t come out immediately, let it cool inverted a couple more minutes, and give it a gentle shake. It normally comes right out that way…but I always mutter a little “Please let the cake come out” prayer. Allow the cake to cool completely, and frost.
This is our favorite chocolate frosting…
In a mixing bowl, beat a stick of room temperature butter and 2 ounces of cream cheese –also room temp- together until fluffy.
Sift in 2 1/3 cups powdered sugar and 1/4 cup baking cocoa.
Add in a teaspoon of vanilla.
Beat those until smooth and then add some cold milk until it is the nice, smooth consistency you like – about 1/4 cup of milk does the trick.
Spread frosting all over the cake.
Then for the final touch. Grate or shred some dark chocolate all over the top, like chocolate snow.
Then stand in your kitchen and unashamedly lick the frosting bowl clean.
You May Also Like:
- The Best Little Chocolate Cake
- Decadent Chocolate Cake Roll
- Double Chocolate Fudge Cola Cake
- Mocha Cake with Mocha Rum Icing
For the Cake
- 3 c flour
- 1/3 c baking cocoa
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 c sugar
- 2 sticks (1 c) butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1 c strong coffee, warm - not hot
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the Chocolate Frosting
- 1 stick (1/2 c) butter, room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 c baking cocoa
- 2 1/3 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 c milk (as needed)
- Dark chocolate for grating
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour a bundt cake pan, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking cocoa and baking soda. Whisk it together and set it aside.
- In your mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until they are smooth fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, completely mixing in one before adding the next.
- Mix in 1/3 of your flour mixture. Mix in the buttermilk.
- Mix in the next 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by coffee and vanilla.
- Mix in the remaining 1/3 of the flour mixture, making sure to scrape the bowl with a spatula to get it all mixed. When it is all combined, pour the cake batter into your prepared cake pan. Spread the batter smooth.
- Bake this for 45 minutes or until it tests done with a toothpick. Cool it 5 minutes in the pan, then carefully side a thin butter knife around the edges. Invert the pan onto a cooling rack. If the cake doesn't come out immediately, let it cool 5 more minutes while inverted on the rack - then give it a gentle shake. It normally comes right out when I do this. Cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese together until fluffy. Sift in the powdered sugar and cocoa. Mix these together and mix in the vanilla. Add in the milk as needed to make a nice, smooth consistency. Spread it all over the cake.
- To finish, grate a little dark chocolate over the top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 480mg Carbohydrates: 85g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 58g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g