This silky, chocolate pie will simply melt in your mouth.
This pie is one of those desserts that is a staple…a requirement every major holiday. It is also one of the pies that everyone fights over, and the first to vanish.
How to Make Chocolate Pie
To begin, you will need a baked pie shell. Have that ready and sitting on your counter.
In a small bowl, beat 2 egg yolks. Set it aside for now. Measure out 1 teaspoon of vanilla and a tablespoon of butter and set them aside where you can get to them easily.
In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of baking cocoa, 3 tablespoons of corn starch, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder. Stir those together.
Pour in 2 cups of milk.
Over medium heat, begin cooking the mixture, stirring continually until the mixture begins to gently boil.
Boil the mixture for 1 minute and remove it from the heat. The mixture will be nice and thick.
While whisking the egg yolks, slowly ladle about a half cup or more of the mixture in. This will temper your eggs so you don’t get scrambled eggs in you pie.
Pour the tempered mixture back into the saucepan and return it to the heat. Bring it back to a gentle boil, and let it bubble for 1 more minute, stirring continually, and them remove it from the heat.
Add in the butter and vanilla. Stir until it is all combined.
(Psst! If you stop right here, you have just made an insane Homemade Chocolate Pudding!)
Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Allow it to come to room temperature, and then refrigerate for at least an hour.
Serve with whipped cream.
You may also be interested in:
- 1 baked pie shell
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c baking cocoa
- 3 Tb cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 2 c milk
- 1 Tb butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- whipped cream for serving
- To begin, set your pie shell on the counter and have it ready.
- In a small bowl, beat your egg yolks. Set aside.
- Have your vanilla and butter ready.
- In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, salt and espresso powder.
- Pour in the milk. Stir together and cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Make sure you stir continually. Let it boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- While whisking the egg yolks, slowly ladle in about a half cup or more of the chocolate mixture to temper the eggs.
- Pour all of the egg mixture back into the saucepan.
- Return it to the heat, and continue to cook and stir.
- Bring in back up to a gentle boil and let it bubble for another minute.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the butter and vanilla until completely mixed in.
- Pour the filling into your baked pie crust.
- Allow it to come to room temperature and then chill in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Be sure to use instant espresso powder, not espresso beans. If you can not find espresso powder, instant coffee can be substituted - simply double the amount.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 55mg Sodium: 150mg Carbohydrates: 44g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 28g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g