Here’s another simple slow-cooker recipe to warm you up on a winter day.
Let me first apologize for the fuzziness of these photos. I had a setting wrong on my camera, and didn’t realize it until after I had uploaded all of them on my computer. I’ll have to re-photograph this recipe at some point and fix these.
To begin, dice up a large Red Onion, and finely mince 6 cloves of Garlic.
Next you will peel then grate some of that Ginger. Doesn’t this look like a crab?
You’ll need about 2 Tablespoons.
Take a moment to notice my microplaner.
That Microplanerhas changed my life!!!
Okay, maybe not literally, but it is awesome!!! Why on earth didn’t I get one of these sooner!?
In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil, and begin sautéing the onions, garlic and ginger.
When the onions have softened, stir in 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste.
And 4 teaspoons Curry Powder.
Then pour in 2 1/2 cups Chicken Broth.
Stir this all together until the tomato paste is well combined.
Pour it into your slow cooker. Add in a pinch of Salt & Pepper
Finally, stir in 3 Tablespoons of “minute” Tapioca.
Add in 4 boneless, skinless Chicken breasts, that have been cut into chunks.
Put the lid on this and let this cook on low for 4 hours.
In the last hour of cooking, add in 1/2 cup dried Cranberries.
Now when I photographed this, I added these in at the beginning, but after some thought, decided they should go in towards the end. Putting them in at the start cooks them too much, and they lose too much flavor. The last hour. Definitely.
You will also stir in 1 teaspoon dried Cilantro.
Note: If you are someone that is genetically wired that cilantro tastes like metal or soap to you – really! – replace this with some parsley.
When the cooking time is finished, stir in 1/2 cup plain Yogurt.
You will serve this on cooked rice or couscous. But there is one last step.
Coarsely chop some Cashews.
And sprinkle on top.
- 1 red onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 Tb grated fresh Ginger
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1 Tb tomato paste
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 3 Tb "minute" tapioca
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- ½ c dried cranberries
- 1 tsp dry cilantro
- ½ c plain yogurt
- ½ c coarsely chopped cashews
- rice or couscous for serving
- Dice your onion and mince the garlic. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, garlic & ginger until onions are tender.
- Turn off heat, and stir in tomato paste, curry powder and chicken broth. Stir until combined.
- Pour into slow cooker.
- Add in salt, pepper and tapioca. Nestle the chicken down into the mixture.
- Put the lid on your slow cooker, and cook for 4 hours on low.
- In the last hour, stir in the cranberries and cilantro (or parsley.) When finished, stir in the yogurt.
- Serve on rice or couscous, and top with the chopped cashews.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 397 Total Fat 14g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 71mg Sodium 549mg Carbohydrates 39g Fiber 3g Sugar 13g Protein 31g