This German Cabbage Soup is incredibly simple to make. If you love the caramelized flavor of fried cabbage, you will adore this soup.
Watch me make this German Cabbage Soup:
This soup all begins with some shredded cabbage. An entire small head of it.
But the magic happens in the pot, as you saute it with some diced bacon and butter, until the bacon is crisped and the cabbage begins to brown and caramelize. When that happens, the cabbage takes on an irresistible sweetness that melds right into the soup.
Before I married my husband, I had never had fried cabbage. But the first time I had it, I was in love. Now I enjoy fried cabbage any time, and this soup simply highlights that wonderful flavor.
You May Also Like:
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 5 slices, thick cut bacon - cut into 1/2 - 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 small head of green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 Tb butter (if needed)
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 2/3 c white wine
- 4 c beef broth
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme leaves
- 1 c heavy cream
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- To begin, sauté the bacon pieces, in your Dutch oven until they are golden and crispy. Use a slotted spoon to scoop the cooked bacon out to a dish that is lined with a paper towel. Set it aside for now.
- Add the shredded cabbage to the Dutch oven and cook over medium heat until the cabbage is cooked and slightly browned in some spots, about 10 minutes. Add the butter if you need to, but the bacon drippings are often enough.
- Add in the white wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen all of the "flavor bits" and de-glaze the pot.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Top your bowl of soup with the cooked bacon.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 998mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.