To begin, peel and cut 3 carrots into 1 inch pieces.
Cut a medium sized onion into wedges.
Scrub a pound of red or yellow potatoes.
Cut the potatoes into chunks. I was using new potatoes, so I just halved or quartered them.
Stir the veggies together in the bottom of your crockpot.
Grab a package of bratwurst, and cut them all into 3 or 4 pieces. Place them on top of the veggies.
Now you’ll need one cup of good amber ale.
Pour the beer into a bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon of hot paprika.
Add in 1/2 teaspoon of caraway seeds.
Add in a teaspoon each of salt & pepper. Stir it all together and pour it over the contents of the crockpot.
Now you need a jar of sauerkraut – about 40 ounces.
Spread the contents (liquid and all) all over the top.
Cover and cook this on low 8 hours or high 4 hours. That’s it!
- 3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 lb red or gold potatoes
- 1 package bratwurst
- 1 c amber ale beer
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 jar (about 24 oz) sauerkraut
- To begin, peel and trim you carrots, cut them into 1 inch pieces. Peel and cut the onion into wedges. Wash and cut the potatoes into about 1 1/2 -2 inch chunks.
- Combine them in the crockpot.
- Cut the bratwurst each into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Place them on top of the veggies.
- In a bowl, mix together the beer, hot paprika, caraway seeds, salt and pepper.
- Pour that over the contents of the crockpot.
- Spread the sauerkraut, liquid and all, over the top of the brats.
- Cook covered on low heat for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 531mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.